• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Substrate for a 20g planted?

npbarca

Members
Hey guys,

Thanks to Frank I will be getting some awesome rainbows and would like to set them up in a 20 long planted tank. The Coralife t5 Aqualight for about 45$ seems the way to go for lighting, but I was wondering what substrate I would need. I think sand would look good, so would just adding root tabs be enough to support the plants?

Kareen

Members
Yes, Pool filter sand is very good make it about 3in deep and just add some root tabs just make sure to rinse the sand out really good I like sand every thing says on top for easy cleaning.

ddavila06

Members
root tabs will feed your root-feeder plants (swords, anubias, crypts), if you decide to do stems you might want to occasionally add some flourish comprehensive or some other "all in one" additive.

With a tank that low, be wary of the light amount. start with 6 hours or so at first until you have a lot of plants..or get some floaters help because algae is always looking for the opportunity to show itself. :)

Becca

Members
With a smaller tank, one of the sands Flourite or CaribSea make specifically for planted tanks would not be too expensive, either.

I recently tried ST Aquasoil (amazon.com) and it is easier to use than the old-style Aquasoil. It's a bit pricier. Fluval Stratum is another option and Ken's sells it at a fairly reasonable price - all if you're not dead set on sand.

ddavila06

Members
With a smaller tank, one of the sands Flourite or CaribSea make specifically for planted tanks would not be too expensive, either.

I recently tried ST Aquasoil (amazon.com) and it is easier to use than the old-style Aquasoil. It's a bit pricier. Fluval Stratum is another option and Ken's sells it at a fairly reasonable price - all if you're not dead set on sand.

aquasoil usually gives you an initial ammonia spike and the "goodness" of the substrate runs out in no time. dosing is a must for that stuf.. also turns into a muddy mess

Becca

Members
aquasoil usually gives you an initial ammonia spike and the "goodness" of the substrate runs out in no time. dosing is a must for that stuf.. also turns into a muddy mess

Not this stuff, Damian. It's a nice porous substrate, no cloudiness, no ammonia spike, ready to use out of the bag. It's not the same as the Aquasoil you're thinking of.

I've used PFS, too. Some plants seem a little more prone to root-rot in dense substrate like that, but most do fine - it depends on what he's trying to grow.