• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Strange event

bschuhart

Members
I'll try to make this short.

I had 2 females and 1 male Ruby Red Peacocks growing out in a 40 Breeder. I notice that one female is holding so I put her in a net breeder. The other gets really picked on so I put her in another net breeder both in the 40B

Today the holding one released 20 fry. so I put her in the other net breeder with the other female and they began fighting, it looked like the one female was still holding a few more fry because she was chewing. So I put the other female back in the main 40B. Then it looked like she was holding, I thought I put the wrong one back in the 40 so I caught her again, by now I've been chasing her around for a while. Well the other female had a mouth full of eggs and spit them out and I noticed these white worms about 1-2" long attached to the eggs and free swimming.

Two questions:

1. could or would a female lay eggs in a net breeder with out a male and if so could they get fertilized through the net?

2. What a the white worms? Are they dangerous to the health of the adults?

longstocking

Members
Are the worms attached to the eggs or not? Are they really skinney and squirmy?

Anything is possible in terms of the female breeding....

bschuhart

Members
They are skinny, about 1-2" long, translucscent and the female spit them out with the eggs and then with in 15 minutes had them all back in her mouth. Some were attached to the eggs and others not, it looked like they were feeding on the eggs.

The female is still holding and it's 7 days after my first post.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Sorry I didn't chime in earlier Ben. That's really weird. Never seen or heard of anything like that.

I would say that if the eggs are able to hatch, then they can't be that bad, but am certainly no expert in these matters....