• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Store Closing

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
It is always sad to see a lfs go, no matter where they are located. The article hit home for me. Thanks for sharing.

SuperPetz is about to go through a major rehaul by the way. They are closing down to move locations on the 31st of July. They are purportedly considering opening a fish only space and then a second space with all of their other pet related items.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member

We work with local pet stores when we can.

Bashing them is a very quick way of being banned from this site.

Hawkman2000

Members
We work with local pet stores when we can.

Bashing them is a very quick way of being banned from this site.

Obviously I don't want to be banned. I was just stating my point of view as allowed by the forum rules. I did not make any discriminatory remarks or use profanity. I would understand if I personally offended a person. I just think that the labels on a tank should Match the fish in it, products and shelves should not be covered in dust and grime, and extremely loud parrots should not be placed right next to the register (my girlfriends ears were ringing for an hour). I also would be very angry if the black beard algae that is in many of there tanks came with the fish.

The point I failed to make is that large chain stores thrive due to the purchasing of products in bulk and selling at lowers prices. While superpetz stays in business by cutting costs in maintenance, organization, and quality service. And the good stores like TFW get screwed for running a clean shop with good customer service.

So Superpetz is moving and upgrading, WONDERFULL:D. I love to see local business thrive. I hope they give petco and petsmart a run for there money. I will definitely check out the new store.

In the mean time, I would encourage people in Norther VA to check out Pristine Aquariums in Alexandria. The owner and some of the staff used to work at Superpetz (from what I understand). Not the biggest store, but very clean and organized. Great customer service as well. The products are a little more expensive compared to chain stores, but I think its worth it.

I apologize for rambling and getting of topic by the way.

Sad to see stores like this go bye-bye.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Superpetz has the best selection of African cichlids of any store in the DC metro area, hands-down.

Hawkman2000

Members
Superpetz has the best selection of African cichlids of any store in the DC metro area, hands-down.

That may be, but as I stated before; when you buy fish from them, you could also be buying very bad forms of algae that only bleach can kill. I hope it doesn't follow them to there new location.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
That may be, but as I stated before; when you buy fish from them, you could also be buying very bad forms of algae that only bleach can kill. I hope it doesn't follow them to there new location.

Dude. Just stop already. I have never seen a petshop that doesn't have a bit of black algae somewhere in their tanks.

I know that it is your opinion and all and within your rights on this forum, blah, blah, blah.... You may see trolls lawyering up all the time over on some of the big forums, but we don't do that here.

You are condemning this store unfairly. You are costing them business. You are expressing your personal opinion that most folks on the forum do not share. You are also doing this on a thread that is discussing how unfortunate it is that LFSs close.

A bit hypocritical perhaps?

One point I do agree with you on though is the noise coming from those pesky parrots... Wow, what kind of nerve do they have to be making noise during your visit? That alone should be a reason to never visit a LFS again. :rolleyes:

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
:pound:One point I do agree with you on though is the noise coming from those pesky parrots... Wow, what kind of nerve do they have to be making noise during your visit? That alone should be a reason to never visit a LFS again. :rolleyes:

TONY YOU HAVE ME :pound: ...I WAS THINKING THE SAME THING ABOUT THE PARROTS... I WAS LIKE ...SO MOVE IF THEY ARE TOO LOUD. LIKE STANDING IN FRONT OF FIRE WONDERING WHY YOU GOT BURNED :p. GEESH!:wacko:

Hawkman2000

Members
:pound:One point I do agree with you on though is the noise coming from those pesky parrots... Wow, what kind of nerve do they have to be making noise during your visit? That alone should be a reason to never visit a LFS again. :rolleyes:

LFS stands for LOCAL FISH STORE, not LOCAL PET STORE. I've never seen an LFS with a parrot (not saying they are not out their). I am just saying that any descent manager would arrange the store better than that. The costumer comes first.

TONY YOU HAVE ME :pound: ...I WAS THINKING THE SAME THING ABOUT THE PARROTS... I WAS LIKE ...SO MOVE IF THEY ARE TOO LOUD. LIKE STANDING IN FRONT OF FIRE WONDERING WHY YOU GOT BURNED :p. GEESH!:wacko:

Ok, so I move away from the birds so they don't shatter my ear drums. Ah nutz, now I've lost my place in line at the register. DUH

Hawkman2000

Members
Ok, I have to give an apology to Superpets (Kind of). A friend emailed me that they were having a huge sale for there closing. So I went and checked it out. The staff was friendly and helpful. and the 75% of fish and 45% of supplies wasn't bad either. Having a staff with a good attitude made all the difference to me. I still hope their new store will be kept cleaner and better lit. I also think that those dam birds are what causes the staff to be so harsh.