• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

stopping

fweed

Members
Can someone help me. I wanna know is there away to stop hybridrization in a community tank. Is it possible.

RIFT_LAKES_RULE

Member of the Darkside Tang's Rule!
What fish in particular?

In general, it is more a matter of preventing it, which is done when you pick the different species for the community tank. You need species that aren't closely related, and both males and females for each species. I can link you to an article I wrote for another site about this topic pertaining to Mbuna's.

Julie

Members
What fish in particular?

In general, it is more a matter of preventing it, which is done when you pick the different species for the community tank. You need species that aren't closely related, and both males and females for each species. I can link you to an article I wrote for another site about this topic pertaining to Mbuna's.

Geez Mike! Now you've done it... Francine will want that article for the BioTope!!!!

And Fweed, why do you want any possible hybridization to stop? Are you interested in selling the babies? Do you not like the looks of them? If it's just because you think it might be construed as wrong by others but you enjoy it, don't worry, just enjoy, but you can't sell the babies.

All male tanks are an answer.
Fry predators are another... like certain catfish or other opportunistic snackers.
Another predator tank, like pikes, which would enjoy the tiny babies.

as Mike asked... what's the fish... then we can be more specific!!

dogofwar

CCA Members
I just let the females spit in the community tank... and have some catfish in there to take care of business.

fweed

Members
Mike can you send me the article that would be cool. I hear its hard to ssell the hybrids. My community tank is really just a holding tank till I get my other tank setup. But wanted to know just in case. I have mbuna's and peacocks in that tank now. Thanks thats why I am here to learn. Thanks julie and matt and everyone

RIFT_LAKES_RULE

Member of the Darkside Tang's Rule!
I wrote this based on my own personal experiences, nothing scientific to back it up. When I got into the hobby I had the same type of question and this was also the advice given to me, or atleast in some part. It did work for me as well as many others.

Click here for the Hybridization Article.

If it is felt that this is worthy of the biotope, you are more than welcomed to it.