• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Stocking suggestions

TovMahal

Members
Thanks to everyone's advice, I decided to get a 75g tank instead of a 55g tank. Now need to decide what I am going to put in it and was hoping for some input regarding:

1. Compatibility among the following options
2. Whether the tank is the appropriate size for the species
3. How many of each I should get; and
4. Suggestions for compatible algae eaters.

As you can see from the list, I am definitely set on Mbuna, and, as a Mets fan, I would really like to have some orange and blues in the tank. Other than that my main goal is to ensure the fish are compatible.

My ideal set up would include:
- C. Afra (Cobue)
- L. Trewavasae
- P. Saulosi
- P. Johannii

But I am concerned with the overall size of the L. Trewavasae, the aggressiveness of the P. Johannii, and the compatibility of the P. Saulosi and the C. Afra (Cobue).

Other things I was thinking about were:
- Go with Maingano instead of P. Johannii, I know I lose some orange with the lack of P. Johanii females but I may be able to make this us with adding some M. Estherae (Red)

- Replacing the P. Saulosi with M. Estherae (Red) and a different blue species that will get along with the C. Afra Cobue

- Going with Rusties instead of L. Trewavasae (not ideal but willing to do so because I can’t get a bigger tank).

As the same time, I am open to your suggestions.

To help, I have included a picture of what my rock structure may look (I will see how it looks in the tank before “gluing it together).

Finally, due to some other unanticipated commitments, I am probably not going to be able to start stocking until mid October, so if people have fry in these species that anticipate wanting to sell around then, please let me know.

Thanks for your help

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1378414686.303124.jpg

daninmd

Members
I would substitute the Maingano for the johannii. similar looking and a lot less aggressive.

I think Cobue, Maingano and Saulosi would be fine. I think the cobue and saulosi would be fine together

also check out the cookie cutter setups on cichlid-forum for 75 gallons. lots of ideas there too

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Check out www.davesfish.com, he has some of the species you mentioned in stock, and we're doing a group buy for the October meeting. Dave (owner of site) will be the speaker and will be talking about Malawi mbuna.

I wouldn't mix rusties with afra because the females would look similar. Labeotropheus can be pretty aggressive, but they could work with the right ratios. You'll probably better off buying young fish and growing them out together.

WendyFish

Members
My two cents, I wouldn't worry about the trewavasae in a 75. I have fuelleborni in a 4' tank (though it's a 110) and have not worried about the size for them.

Couple thoughts on it - first of all, mine are over 3 years old and the boys are an easy 6" but I don't think they're the 7" advertised. They are big but not monsters and they took a relatively long time to get to this size. To the extent they continue to grow I imagine it will be very slowly.

Also, the females are not as large as the males, so you're not talking about a whole group of 7" fish.

If you have your heart set on them I wouldn't see a problem in a 75, as long as your overall stocking isn't overcrowded.