• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Stocking Question...

rich_one

Members
So, my 125 gallon is about to look like this:

1 Oscar
1 Bocourti
3 Jack Dempseys

I kind of had my eye on a Pearsi... but I am think that is just pushing it too much.

Is this overstocked? Can I add say, 1 decent sized catfish and a school of some sort of dither fish, doing 50% weekly water changes? And... COULD I add a Pearsi?

Thanks!

-Rich

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I think you could add the pearsi, although I personally would go with a different body shape fish as the bocourti and pearsi are very similar. You could probably add a pair of smaller cryptoheros/archocentrus types for some action around the bottom of the tank.

rich_one

Members
I think you could add the pearsi, although I personally would go with a different body shape fish as the bocourti and pearsi are very similar. You could probably add a pair of smaller cryptoheros/archocentrus types for some action around the bottom of the tank.
Hmmm... like a nanoluteus! You know what? I kinda like that idea!

-Rich

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Nano's are very cool. Maybe others who have kept them can weigh in on how they will mix with other, larger fish. I gave a try with some juvies that didn't make it. I think they were stressed out in my grow out tank.

You could also try cutteri - they are tough as nails and breed like rabbits. Throw a smaller cat like a pictus in to control the fry population.

rich_one

Members
Anyone else, please chime in!

Especially on some suggested dither. I may just not add any other cichlids... on the fence, but glad to know the option is there.

-Rich

minifoot77

Members
NOPE :) i have angels coming out my ears i donated a 5 gallon bucket to a certain dangernugget for the feeding of his fh and parachromis :)

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
I WAS SERIOUS. CALEB,THEY WORK UNTIL THE PARACHROMIS REALIZE HOW GOOD THEY TASTE.;) THE FISH YOU HAVE SHOULDNT PAY THEM ANY MIND RICH.

rich_one

Members
LOL... wow! I'da never thunk it! LOL...

Well, my history with angels has been er... ahem... less than stellar. Do I need these things to mature before adding them, or is there some other magic thing about your angels that will keep them alive longer than any other angel I have ever tried in the past (my record is about 36 days... all juvies, of course!)?

-Rich

rich_one

Members
So any thoughts on if I should go for a catfish, or is this enough bio load on this tank, which will have weekly water changes of 50%? I wouldn't want any catfish that get out of control big, like redtails or shovelnoses or anything like that. Just something that would get a decent enough size to not be food. What do you guys think?

-Rich

rich_one

Members
So, I do like this angel idea, and as I type this, I think I'm going to give that a try... sounds interesting.

But I did have a thought, after doing some poking aorund on here... is there a schooling or shoaling type of dither worthy fish that is an easy spawner? (Easy for idiots like me, that is). Was just thinking how cool it would be to have a dither that spawned almsot like endlers... providing a steady source of live food for the big boys, right there in the tank! LOL...

I dunno... probably a crazy thought, but there it is!

-Rich