• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Stocking Question

npbarca

Members
In my 40b, I plan to get 2m/6f Saulosi, and 1m/3f of some type of peacock. I have a 20l and another 40b open. Will this combo work, and any breeding groups you are willing to sell, contact me.

Nick

I wouldn't put peacocks in this tank. This is just my two cents. I'd do a peacock colony in the 40B (I've done this and it works well, but pick mild peacocks).

With the mbuna tank, I'd add a small group of white tail acei, gender doesn't matter much.

That's going to be a very tight squeeze in a 40. I guess if you stuck with a peacock that gets 4.5" max and started small it could work for a little while but 12 full grown fish in a 40 will be pushing it. Do you plan on reducing the mbuna once you determine the sex or are you getting more and only keeping the 8? Because they stay smallish and stay in the structure it could work but I would def keep an open tank on hand incase the fish decide to start killing each other over boundary disputes.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Ading522

Members
Well.. If you are talking about a grow out and fish are at about a max of 2" it could work out.. But you can never be too sure.. Its a little too small for two groups that are supposed to live together.. Holly and Cichlidaddicted are right with their suggestions.. I'd aim for at least a 55 for that group.. And I would still not be sure..its hard to balance groups sometimes.. But its always a different experience over person.. Just go with a bigger tank to be on the safe side..

Sent from my XT1060 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

npbarca

Members
The other option would be a Saulosi species tank, with 3 males and 9-10 females. And the purpose of these tanks are for breeding, not show.

npbarca

Members
Now for the next 40b, im going to start out with 8 T. reef juvies, and another group of juvies of an undecided species.

Just 8 steveni is way to much I have three Taiwan reef in a 65 and that's too small. My male is 8 inch I cant imagine cramming him in a 40. For a tank that size as a perminant home the max size should not exceed 6 inch. Keep in mind a fish that grows 6" in the wild can reach 8" in a captive environment. Pretty much the only haps. That stay that size are some copadichromis species. As far as mixing peacocks and mbuna I have never had any luck even in large tanks 90+.

Ading522

Members
For a 40 breeder ..I would keep a quad or a trio at best for haps..peacocks are ok..but you'd be better with smaller fish..and by that I mean small in adult size..except mbuna probably..I've had luck with a 125 community..but the demasoni and the albino eureka reds were the only ones who got to breeding..

Sent from my XT1060 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Rasta Fish

Members
It can work
I have a 29gl tank with 8 yellow labs breedjng, ruby red breeding group 1m4f, pair of white top hara breeding, 3 juvenile elaectri blue they all grow up together and work fine for me

Ading522

Members
It can work
I have a 29gl tank with 8 yellow labs breedjng, ruby red breeding group 1m4f, pair of white top hara breeding, 3 juvenile elaectri blue they all grow up together and work fine for me

Wow.. That nice they worked out for you.. I'm guessing they aren't full size though?

Sent from my Xoom using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

I have a 29 with 5 juvi kandeense between 2-3.5". I feel bad for them. Can't imagine all those fish in a 29 unless they are all <2.5-3". Do you have long term plans for them?