• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Stocking question...

corrado91

Members
Does anybody have experience stocking white top hara with maingano? i have one adult maingano and have an opportunity to get a bunch of hara. wasn't sure if they would fight due to stripes etc... Any insight or experience is welcome. Thank you!!:)

STATMATT

Members
I have a single white top hara with a male Melanochromis auratus They pretty much don't mess with each other. The M auratus female I had ended up being killed with being chased and nipped nonstop by the male. I got one fry from the couple and that one is the meanest one I have in my other tank.

So I could say tentatively yes I think they'll get along, but I also have 150 gallons of space for them to separate and hide from one another. The White Top Hara is the kind of that tank though.

In my experience, as long as the fry aren't too small, the adult fish don't seem to mess with them that much until they are sexually mature. Granted lots of space and places to hide/get away are also useful.

STATMATT

verbal

CCA Members
I think they should be ok. Mainganos tend to be fairly flexible with compatiable tankmates. I had afra with Mainganos in a 150 at one point. There may have been a little scrapping but nothing serious.

What size tank do you have?

corrado91

Members
They would be going in my 60 gallon tank. the maingano is id say around three inches. The hara would probably be around the same size if not a tad bigger, and i'd probably be getting 4-5 of them. Only reason i ask is because he didn't do well with my cobue and I eventually had to remove them before there were any deaths.