• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Stocking Plan for 135g

AquaStudent

Members
It's looking good with my pickup of a 135g (72"x18"x24") and I'm ready to start planning out the stocking (and take a break from studying for my exams).

As hinted at in another thread I want to do SA or CA cichlids with one main centerpiece fish and some smaller companions.

Here are the plans (I'll try an update them as you guys provide suggestions or corrections). I think I'm quickly pushing the stocking on the tank so pull the reigns back on me when I've gone too far.

I plan on taking a trip down to NoVA in June to see family. I'll also hopefully be able to attend the June CCA meeting and can stock up on some of these guys there. Up here in Albany there aren't many local sources of quality fish (there's no CCA!!!)

Stocking (First Draft)

Centerpiece:
1x Cichlasoma festae (Red Terror/Festae) - This guy would be the centerpiece of the tank. I've read up on their aggression and that has be a bit worried but I'm also excited to go after a monster of a fish!
Cichlasomafestaefemale.jpg

Tankmates:
2-3x Thorichthys meeki (Firemouth) - I love the color and look on these guys. They have a bit of attitude but aren't nearly as massive as some of the big boys. I love the flaring!
512_firemouth_cichlid_tank_2.jpg

2-3x Heros severus (Severums) (sp. Rokei?)- There are some gorgeous severums. The colors are a must have!
MVI_0862-003_zps0416404e.jpg

1x Polypterus senegalus - I have one already at about 6" in my AC tank. I'd like to get him into a larger setup.
polybaby7.jpg

Optional (one of the following):
School of clown loaches (too aggressive of a tank for them???)
Specialty Pleco
Syno Cat

Other Centerpiece Fish:
Oscar
Jack Dempsey
Jaguar Cichlid
Green Terror (may not go well with Blue Acara)
Istlantum

Other Tankmates
2x Geophagus (any particular species?) - I do like this genus but I feel like I'm already pushing the stocking level!
Geophagus-dicrozoster-4.jpg

2-3x Blue Acara
blueAcara1.jpg

Additional Notes about the tank:

Filtration: I haven't decided on filtration (that'll be figured out once I get the tank and after my exams). I have a couple options though. I could quite easily build a PVC overflow system and build a sump. I was planning on making a sump for my 55g anyway so I can just double up the project. I also haven't seen the stand yet so this is very dependent on that.
Otherwise, I'd likely invest in an Fluval FX6. I've heard good things about the FX5 and love my 306 (and got my dad a 406).

Substrate: I have Pool Filter Sand in my other tanks and absolutely love it. I'll be going with PFS here.

For much of the stocking I was checking out the Batfish Aquatic pages.

Last edited:

npbarca

Members
I think the geophagus are not the best fit. They are usually timid and do well in larger groups.

AquaStudent

Members
I think the geophagus are not the best fit. They are usually timid and do well in larger groups.

Good good! Thank you! This is the kind of info I need. I'll definitely look more into compatibility of geophagus. I just assumed since they were a moderately large cichlid they would be ok.

I'd go with a catfish other than a synodontis, most like hard alkaline water plus if your going to have some big boys there's probably some much better scavengers. Also if you do go canister just get an fx5 its better than the fx6 but still a bit small for a heavily stocked 135.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Jaguar are awesome i'd save space for atleast one of them. May not have the color of severums but would work better with the terror

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

AquaStudent

Members
I wish I could edit my first post. Either way, for my reference and anyone else interested here's a shot of a Jaguar Cichlid.

Parachromis managuensis - Grow up to 18" (12" is more common)
Hondo-Manaquense-1200b.jpg

2Q==

Any suggestions possible catfish suggestions? I'd like to compile a large list of possibilities and then narrow it down from there.

Possible Catfish:

Striped Raphael Catfish - Grows to about 9"

striped-raphael-catfish.jpg

Sorubim lima (type of shovelnose) - Grows to 18" These guys look cool but probably are too much.
9k=

catfish_limaShovelnose1.jpg

Ornate Pimelodus - ~11" These guys are interesting!
1.jpg

Rineloricaria heteroptera (Whiptail Catfish) - ~5" They are likely too small to handle the centerpiece cichlid but still an interesting consideration.
illegal_to_reproduce.gif

2Q==

Whiptail_Whiptail%20Catfish.jpg

Last edited:

AquaStudent

Members
Another fish I find interesting is a Pike Cichlid

One of the species I saw was Crenicichla lenticulata

pike1_600px1.jpg

I've seen some photos of other dwarf pikes around here.

Crenicichla celidochilces

DSC07539.jpg

Does anybody have experience with this fish?

AquaStudent

Members
Does anybody have other suggestions? I've almost got the tank cleaned up. I got an FX6 in the mail that I'm going to be seeding on another tank. I'll be talking about drilling my tank which may take some time but I should be able to order fish in a few weeks. I want to begin shopping around.

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Sounds good but there are a few things that might not work too well:
polypterus senegalus is a very small polypterus species, I believe the smallest. I'd go for a bigger uj species like tuegelsi or palmas palmas. You could get a lj polypterous liek a koloton or endilicheri but they have larger mouths and like to eat tankmates
second thing, the sevrums might get picked on by the festae since severums aren't that aggressive.
third thing, ornate pims are great but like to be in small groups of 4 or more
fourth thing, C.lenticulata get huge and are monsters. They kill -or try to- kill everything so I wouldn't recommend one unless you are ready to dedicate a tank for just that fish.
And fifth thing, festaes grow really slow so make sure to get a larger individual so the others dont out compete him in growth.
Im excited to see this tank come together!

dogofwar

CCA Members
If you want to keep and breed exC. festae, that's about all you'll be able to keep in a 6' tank.

Although they're technically from South America, their behavior is decidedly more Central American than Amazonian. I've had a single male go psycho on a 6' tank and eliminate several really tough fish.

Same with P. managuensis. A pair in a 6' tank at a bare minimum. You could start with a group but you'll end up with a pair.

Amazonian fish could result in a better community, if you want to go that way. Geos and sevs are usually a good combination. And you could also mix in some Blue Acaras or other Acaras, etc.

Thoricthys could fit with Geos and Acaras but are Central (vs. South) American... If you're seeking harmony, I'd skip them. They'll be pounded by festae or managuensis.

Some Crenicichla could fit in a South American community. Others won't.

C. ceilidochilus is from Uruguay and requires a cool-down period. They're also really nasty, predatory fish. I've had them kill other Uruguayan pike for sport. I unfortunately just lost the last of the pair that I collected over 6 years ago (probably 8-9 year-old fish).

Matt

verbal

CCA Members
I think you have to pick the fetsae(a group to get a pair) or a SA/CA community tank.

If you do CA cichlids in your community you probably want to pick Geophagus brasliensis for you geo. They are more robust, so they should be able to hold your own. I think firemouths are a decent community cichlid option. Nics and Rainbow cichlids are good options also. If you go with a JD, the electric blues have a reputation of being more mellow, although they are pickier about water conditions.

AquaStudent

Members
Very interesting points. I have some more things to reconsider. I'll try putting together a few more lists tomorrow morning and if anyone checks back to review that'd be great.

A lot of this is dependent on what I'm able to get. I'll be checking out Batfish to see if they can ship special orders but we'll see what else is also available.

Thanks guys

AquaStudent

Members
If your looking for rare or unusual cichlids and oddballs I'd check out Jeff Rapps: www.tangledupincichlids.com
He has a crazy amount of rare and wild caught fish, Im sure you'd find a few you like.

I completely forgot about Jeff. That's a great source too!

Because the Festa are so aggressive and I don't have much other tankspace I could dedicate to separating fish if they start acting up (and I don't want to partition the tank unless as a last resort) and I don't think I have the discipline to dedicate my first monster tank to a single fish (or pair) I'll be going with more of a community tank.

Plus, this will give me another location to try some planting options depending on the species.

AquaStudent

Members
Here are some new thoughts.

2x Severums
RedShoulderSeverum1.jpg

2x Chocolate Cichlid - Hypselecara temporalis
chocolate-cichlid.jpg

4-5x Geophagus (pictured is Geophagus argyrostictus)
Geophagus-cf-agyrostictus.jpg

1x Polyupterus Senegalus (I already have him)
images

Other options include a pair of Uaru cichlids and going with one (or no) chocolate (A source said a common name for one of the two species of Uaru was chocolate cichlid which confuses me)

Some smallish catfish like twig cats would be interesting as well.

Thoughts?

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
I think this plan will work the best and look great.
You could put in some raphael cats or fancy plecos aswel. Twig cats might get injred or pushed around by the larger cichlids.

verbal

CCA Members
Sounds like a good plan.

Here are some new thoughts.

2x Severums
RedShoulderSeverum1.jpg

2x Chocolate Cichlid - Hypselecara temporalis
chocolate-cichlid.jpg

4-5x Geophagus (pictured is Geophagus argyrostictus)
Geophagus-cf-agyrostictus.jpg

1x Polyupterus Senegalus (I already have him)
images

Other options include a pair of Uaru cichlids and going with one (or no) chocolate (A source said a common name for one of the two species of Uaru was chocolate cichlid which confuses me)

Some smallish catfish like twig cats would be interesting as well.

Thoughts?

AquaStudent

Members
Excellent. I'm liking this stocking too. There's some great color and hopefully not too much terror.

Thank you all so much for the help. Please keep the suggestions coming. I welcome more knowledge.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I think you are on the right track stocking wise. Argyrostictus are rare in the hobby (I've only actually seen them for sale once in the past several years, and they were pricey). A good option for a smaller geo that does will in group is the red head tapajos. Males max out at 6-7 inches. Most of the other readily available species from the surinamensis complex get much larger and your tank would start to get cramped. I'd stay away from the satanopercas to start with, as they are a sensitive fish and not for the novice South American keeper.

AquaStudent

Members
Thanks Jon. I threw up a picture of the argyyrostictus because I thought it was pretty. I haven't locked down on what geophagus species I'm going to go with. I just sent a messge to J at Batfish to see what he has available. I'm also going to check with a LFS just north of me to see what he could do.

I'll avoid surinamensis and satanopercas. They do both have some great color. I'd love to see some of those in person.