• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Stocking ideas

ccp2007

Members
I just bought a 29 with LED, filter and heater for $64.99 @ Petco. I thought it was a great deal so I jumped on it. Now I'm not sure what I want to put in it...I'm thinking community, but no platys, guppies, or mollies (I'm just not a fan of those). I want to grow out whatever I put in there. I like dwarf frogs, and inverts too so there are several options...ideas?

Happily married Mommy of 3 babies, 2 fur babies and 15 gilled babies

Well . . . we're a cichlid club, so for a 29, I'd recommend apistos, rams (bolivian or blue) or keyholes. You could also do a pair of rainbow cichlids, but be prepared for babies

Leffler817

CCA Members
You could also do one group of Julidochromis, Neolamprologus, or Lamprologus species. Start with 6-8 juvies and when they grow out the pair off, remove everyone but the pair. You'll be over run with babies in no time unless you add something that eats fry. You could even do a group of Altolamprologus Compressiceps or Calvus. They will take ten years to grow out and pair off giving you lots of time to decide their future.

Jewel cichlids would work as well.....

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ccp2007

Members
You could also do one group of Julidochromis, Neolamprologus, or Lamprologus species. Start with 6-8 juvies and when they grow out the pair off, remove everyone but the pair. You'll be over run with babies in no time unless you add something that eats fry. You could even do a group of Altolamprologus Compressiceps or Calvus. They will take ten years to grow out and pair off giving you lots of time to decide their future.

Jewel cichlids would work as well.....

I have a jewel tank already. It's probably my fav so far bc they eat from my hand and are really friendly

ccp2007

Members
Well . . . we're a cichlid club, so for a 29, I'd recommend apistos, rams (bolivian or blue) or keyholes. You could also do a pair of rainbow cichlids, but be prepared for babies

Love the ram, they're on the expensive side though...even at Petco

zackcrack00

Members
Top dwellers. But the fish might eat the baby crayfish so it's a toss-up. If you really want fish, I'd say nothing with long fins (some guppies, some mollies, LF tetras, etc) but a good choice would be Zebra or Leopard Danios without long fins. The Clarkii crayfish reaches sexual maturity at just a few months old, and would be about 2-3" in length. I'm going to attach a picture of how to sex crayfish. There are many color morphs of the clarkii, but the main ones are Blue, Red, and the rarest, white. By many color morphs I mean there are many kinds of blue, red, and white.

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1404665394.222620.jpg

ccp2007

Members
I have a male. I've owned a few mud bugs ;) I had a female blue crawfish but she sadly escaped when I was doing a wc. My neighbor came over and needed my help and I got distracted and left the lid off. I found her the next day on my night stand :eek: She was still alive when I found her but it was just too late unfortunately

Forester

Members
Awhile back I had an 6-8 inch electric blue crayfish on a tank the was 6 feet above the ground but somehow it climbed down and was walking around my floor when I woke up!!!
And he survived!!!

Sorry just a little off topic :)

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app