• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Stocking ideas for a 40 breeder

Looking for interesting Old World options for a 40 breeder. Maybe shellies of some sort plus ????

Or cyps???

How big do Calvus get??

Open to suggestions . . .

Could a maylandi peacock colony work? (I have a kandeense colony in a 45 with great success)

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Maylandis would certainly work, but are almost the same fish as the blue orchid. Another less aggressive peacock would work - something like a stuartgranti. Alternatively, you could do a couple types of mbuna. Yellow labs plus rusties would be pretty nice. Yo8u could probably squeeze in a third less aggressive type if you kept the other two groups reasonably-sized.

If you wanted to do Tangs, I think that most folks say that a 3' tank is too short for Cyprichromis. But I have my C. leptosoma Utinta in a 40 now and they're doing fine. They are one of the smaller varieties.

A lot of people of Paracyprichromis nigripinnis in a 40 breeder. The are technically a rock dweller, but sort of resemble that sardine body shape of cyps and are a bit more open water swimming than most fish normally considered rock dwellers.

I think that a pretty easy setup for a 40B would be two pairs of rock dwellers plus a groups of shellies. Something like a smaller Julidochromis, a pair of comps/calvus and the shellies (occes, multis, brevis).

Besides buying a pair of adult fish, the general strategy is to get 6 or so juvies and let them grow up and pair off. When you get the pair, sell off/trade the rest of them.

I really do love my peacocks. What sort of ratio do you think I could do with a stuartgranti peacock? 1M-3/4F or multiple males as I have with my blue orchid?

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I have Ngara flametails in a 40B with some growout mbuna. I think the ratio is 2M to about 5F. The boys are about 4" long or so now. I've grown them out since they were about an inch. Not sure if they will eventually outgrow the tank, but they work quite well for now. One of the males is a bit beat up, but nothing terrible. I keep him there to promote color on the alpha and take some heat off the females when the alpha is in the mood.

I have tried keeping jakes in a 40B and it does not work. My benga peacocks were also on the verge of not working. The ratios of each were 1:4 and 1:5 respectively and the females were getting torn up pretty badly. The jakes are now in my 180 and the bengas are now in a 50 long (4'x18"x12"tall).

EDIT: I also used to keep my group of Ruby reds in a 40B and it worked out fine.

toddnbecka

Members
Ruby reds might work in a 40B with a single male, but when I had 2 males in a 75 one of them eventually got killed by the other one. Out of a dozen I ended up with 3m/9f after they had grown out. One male was sold, and the other didn't show full colors for months. When he finally did one of them was dead in less than a week.
I currently have about a dozen 2"+ juvies and a couple larger males, one showing full colors, growing out in another 75. Also smaller fry in both tanks, and at least one female holding that should be releasing them soon.
Also have one odd adult orange male, no blue pigment, that seems to be very aggressive. I've also seen a few orange fry hanging out among the rocks that look like they'll show the same colors.