• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Stigmatochromis sp. 'spilostichus type' colony of 6

emartin

Members
I have a colony of 6 Stigmatochromis sp. 'spilostichus type'.

There is one large male and at least one female as there was a breeding attempt with the large female with her eggtube dropped but no eggs (I think there are 3 females at least (some of the smaller ones are growing super slowly compared to the others that look like they could be males based on how fast they grew (tough to tell by vent))).

They are all about 4-6" in length depending on the specimen.

Oh, and the dominant large male is from a different bloodline. The others are from the same gene pool but all have different parents/mixed blood (pondraised).

And they are all from a German Bred strain.

This is what the species looks like (not of the actual male for sale, he's uncolored but definitely male):
35026468.00900801.jpg

35057568.00901701.jpg

^Above photos © Blair Howell

Asking $150 or best offer. That's $25 per fish which is a great deal for the size and how rare the species is.
I actually paid more than that for the fish myself...I'm not happy about having to part with them :(...

I'll be pass through Eastern PA and North-Western NJ tomorrow and can meet up/drop them off along that route.

Otherwise I can meet up ANYWAY along the NJ Parkway and NJ Turnpike and some parts of I-95 and at the borders.

For MD people: I can drop these off at Tony's place at the CCA bbq on my way down to North Carolina on July 9th-10th no problem at all/free. Or I can meet up at a rest stop or just off an exit of I-95 those days in DE, MD, VA, and NC.

I CAN meet up any time in NJ and at the borders of NJ on Friday and Saturday but you have to give me prior notice. A styrofoam box will be included, these fish are big and each need their own bag.

~Ed

emartin

Members
Oh and nothing is wrong with them. Eat like pigs and have showed spawning interest recently. I just could use more space at the moment in the 265g as I am expecting my wild colony of Tyrannochromis to breed within the next few months and don't have an extra 125g to move these guys into.

There is a 25watt UV Sterilizer running on the tank so they are parasite and malicious bacteria-free. They should not need any quarantining.

emartin

Members
Asking $100 now... That's as low as I'd want to go... That's about $16.50 per fish (don't have a calculator on me at the moment) and these are 4-6" group of 6....

I will still meet anywhere in NJ, Staten Island, and some parts of PA, NY, DE, and MD, and VA on the 9th/10th.

emartin

Members
Can't see the pics.
**** thanks for letting me know!

Fixed the pics. That section should read this:
emartin said:
This is what the species looks like (not of the actual male for sale, he's uncolored but definitely male):
3502646800900801.jpg

3505756800901701.jpg

^Above photos © Blair Howell

And they have showed breeding activity recently, just kept getting interrupted by the dominant Tyrannochromis.

I really am not happy about parting with them but I really need the space. This is a very colorful medium-szed (only about 7" MAX length for males) piscivore-hap (closely related to other genus' like sciaenochromis, mylochromis, etc).

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
What took you so long :D;)

lolz, Chris. I was in meetings all afternoon, generally pretty ticked off.

New fish make me happy. :)

I have been very interested in this breed for a while and actually got three of them over the winter from Erik Dyke. One of the three bit it. Not sure of the sex of the other two as they're in the 180 now and at 4.5" or so, they're some of the smaller fish in the tank and haven't been able to color up.

I also have a group of 5 stigmatochromis modestus "red" (also from Erik) that are around 3". Cool looking guys as well.

The group of 8 spilostichtus will be a great addition to the 150 going up this week.

emartin

Members
Tony...I want fry from them when they breed for you okay? LOL

And thanks Richard. I wish I could work with them longer to get them to color up fully for me and be successful at spawning this time but I really need the space :(...

Tony

I thought the females of this species were generally yellow/gold?

You're probably thinking of Exochromis anagenys. They're the only yellow/olive-colored predator hap I know of. Similar body shape.

The group I got are putting on size nicely in the 180. I'm going to give them another month or so and then move them to a 75 by themselves for a bit to see if they'll do anything. The alpha male is putting on nice blues and yellows along the body, despite being in a tank with a bunch of monsters. I'll try to get some pics sometime this week.

You're probably thinking of Exochromis anagenys. They're the only yellow/olive-colored predator hap I know of. Similar body shape.

pg. 84 of Chichlids: The Pictoral Guide by Pablo Tepoot and Ian M. Tepoot shows a distinctly gold female for Haplochromis Modestus ( alt name Stigmatochromis modestus)

Is the book wrong or did I get my signals crossed?

Tony

pg. 84 of Chichlids: The Pictoral Guide by Pablo Tepoot and Ian M. Tepoot shows a distinctly gold female for Haplochromis Modestus ( alt name Stigmatochromis modestus)

Is the book wrong or did I get my signals crossed?

I'm not sure about the Tepoot book... I don't have it.

You're referring to a different species. From cichlidae.com, the genus Stigmatochromis has 4 described species: woodi, modestus, philodopherus and pleurospilus. There are also several undescribed species, Stigmatochromis sp."modestus red" (a red variation of the blue modestus, which I also keep), Stig. sp. "Tolae" and Stig. sp. "spilostictus type" are just a few others.

Cool genus you don't see too often.

As with most of the other genus you find in the lake, they're discovering fish faster than they can properly classify them...hence the "sp." moniker.

I post this not to argue, I know there is a lot of confusion about species, maybe this can clear up what he is talking about. I looked online and can not find any examples of yellow females.

There are a lot of people out there that know a lot more about this than I ever will...

[QUOTE]In this book we have identified a few fish we call "hidden treasures" H.Modestus more than qualifies for this dubious honor. Although this lovely cichlid is an old import, the supply over the years has been virtually nonexistant. Therefor, few people have seen this fish. I believe that-if this fish could gain wider exposure and availability-it's unique color scheme would captivate the market.[/QUOTE]

Tony

Cool. No worries. Not trying to argue either. :)

The thread was originally about S. sp. "spilostictus type," but I'm always interested to learn about new fish.

Check out the 3-4 types of Stigmatochromis "modestus" variants on this page. http://www.malawi-dream.info/Plan.htm

It's in French, but still a really awesome website to use as a reference. Which one looks like the one in your book?

I'm sure Ed (the OP) could shed some light on the yellow variant. He's the predator hap guru. :happy0144:

EDIT: I'll see if I can also snap some pictures of my S. modestus "Red." They're in a pretty rough tank to photograph, but I'll give it a shot.