• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Starting out fresh

Hi CCA

I'm just starting my very own 26G tank. Its about 3 weeks in. I started with 3 Red Minor Serpae Tetras after the water was dechlorinated and waited two weeks to get 7 more a couple of days ago.

Its well on its way with 10 fish and the tetras are very young. I got them from Tropical Lagoon. Its the best place I've been to and the guys there are super knowledgeable and very helpful.

I went to the last day of AquaMania2013 to check out what was left in the market in the afternoon. I was recommended to the forum from there and I look forward to discussing aquaria!

-notanexpert

Welcome to the forums.
Just a few questions: did you cycle the tank before you added fish? Have you been testing your water parameters to make sure all is OK?

On a different note: serpae tetras are pretty, but they can actually be pretty nippy. Was there anything else you wanted to add to the tank? You are restricted in a 26 that already has 10 fish . . .

Beeman

Members
Welcome to the forum. Any thoughts on what you might want to add as a 'focal-point' fish? My first back-into-the-hobby tank was a 27hex. It revolved around a stunning black-marble angelfish, with a small school of black-skirt tetras. That, and a few corys kept me content and happy until I caved and went into the deep-end with with MTS! But the truth is, it's not how many tanks you maintain, it's how much you appreciate 'this very one'! Do enjoy:smile:

To answer your question, no I haven't done a water change yet. I think that's what you mean by 'cycle the tank'. I've got all the appropriate vacuums though, I was waiting for the 6 week mark before I thought about that.

I got some Tetra brand testing strips and as far as I can tell all the levels are normal. Temp is about 73 F.

I'm hilariously inexperienced so I appreciate the feedback and questions. I kinda latched onto the idea of Pleco's but I was convinced otherwise and wanted to get some Dwarf Corey's (2-3) and the big fish in the tank would be something like a Firemouth or Gold Severum. Its my understanding that cichlids can be in community tanks so I wanted to have one in there too.

I think that the tetras took a couple days to get used to the new water because they were really hanging around the bottom now they swim all over. The tank has big glass bead substrate and a few air stones. There's no plants or Decoration in there yet.

Also I'm totally open to backpedaling on this. As far as I know everyone here is a professional compared to where I'm at.