• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Starter Peacocks?

Vinh2o

Members
I am getting ready to start my 1st Peacock tank. You can say I will be completing the cycle. CA Cichlids as kid, recently Mbuna, and now a 2nd tank dedicated to Peacocks. I am looking for color, temperament ( no kill zone ), something that does not give up the ghost as soon as the water parameter get a little out of wack. I will be looking to pick up groups of very young Juveniles for thinning in about a year to pick my keepers. What do you recommend that I start with? Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

What size tank?

Two ways to go:

One species breeding colony. Depending on the mildness of the peacock and the size of the tank, you might be able to get away with 2 or 3 males to 6-10 females. No Jacobfriberghi types i.e. Yellow Jack, Eureka Red, etc.

An all male tank. Be careful to not get boys that look similar and, again, avoid the more aggressive peacocks. Generally need at least a well 'scaped 55 to attempt and need to best add juvies with just enough color to be boys but not fully mature for the best outcome.

Reed

Very Fishe
I'll have a table at aquamaina, I have a bunch of juvies peacocks and haps that I'll be bringing and some larger show fish. Check out my site www.veryfishe.com pm me if interested and I'll do a pre order

Sent from my Nexus 10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Good starter peacocks for a mixed male tank:

Sunshine (A. baenschi or Benga)
Ruby/German Red (A. rubescens)
Flametail (A. stuartgranti)
Blue (A. masoni, A. koningsi)
Blue/Gold (A. korneliae, A. hueseri)

Medium sized haps that could mix with peacocks:

Yellow blaze lithobates (O. lithobates)
Electra (P. electra)
Blue ahli (S. fryeri)
Fireline (C. mloto)

Similar size and temperament are what you'll need to focus on, there is never a 'golden rule.' There are others that would work, but this would be a good starting point.

Vinh2o

Members
Michael, with the fish that you recommended will they all get along with both males and females in the same tank. I know some aggression is common. I just want to make sure that there are if I out and purchase that group hey will get along.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Michael, with the fish that you recommended will they all get along with both males and females in the same tank. I know some aggression is common. I just want to make sure that there are if I out and purchase that group hey will get along.

Having females in the tank will lead to increased aggression between the males looking to spawn with the females. You also won't be able to distinguish individual species if they're all in the same tank.

Your best bet, if possible, is to keep the groups separate in smaller tanks while they grow out, and add males to the big tank as they color up. In the end you can sell the females since you'd know what type they are. Tanks with males and females can work, but it won't be practical for breeding, and you'll have to keep an eye on aggression, and have a hospital tank ready as needed.