• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Spring has sprung...

dogofwar

CCA Members
The warmer weather has brought lots of spawning to my fishroom.

Most of the Uruguayan fish and a lot of the Central Americans have spawned or on the verge.

Some interesting ones:

Cichlasoma dimerus "Arroyo Chelsea" - Ken Davis collected these a ways inland from Bella Union, Uruguay in a small pond. They look a lot like the Bella Union dimerus (acara shape with green sparkly fins) but seem to have maxed out at ~4.5" for the male and 3" for the female. I have two males and a female. I think they're the only ones in the hobby from that spot. Anyway, they've got a bunch of babies swimming around and seem to be really good parents. I removed the rest of the fish in their tank (extra male and Gymnogeo group) just in case!

Australoheros sp. "Canada Local" - These are from Valentines, Uruguay and turn yellow, black and brown (kind of like old school San Diego Padres uniforms when they breed). I've bred these guys before and thought that they were getting ready to spawn when I cleaned their tank and found wigglers.

Amatitlania siquia "Rio Cubayo" - Costa Rican yellow convicts. These are some of the meanest fish I've ever kept and I'd bet most folks who got them have lost the females (I did). Males get yellowy-orange and females turn black with reddish-orange sides when they spawn. Males are reported to get up to 7" or so as well! I keep the male divided from a couple of ladies and place a flowerpot within striking distance. I've got a bunch of fry growing out... and I noticed that today's water change resulted in a new spawn.

Amatitlania siquia "Rio Claro" - Red fin Honduran convicts brought to the hobby by Ken Davis a few years back. After a couple of years of these being available in hobby circles, they seem to have disappeared...except in my fishroom. These are really interesting "cons" in that the males grow to ~5" but the females stay quite small. My F1s that I got from Ken are a few years old and the female's barely 2"! The female's turn black as coal when they spawn (from gray with sparkly blue head) and the male's develop really rich red in the tail when they mature. I had a bunch of them in a tank and would have regular spawns...but this time I removed the rest so a pair can raise a clutch of babies.

Amatitlania siquia "Rio Panama, Nicaragua" - Jeff Rapps collected these guys on his recent trip to Nicaragua. I got 4 juvies from him, which turned out to include a pair. They were cleaning out a flowerpot for their first spawn in the quarantine tank (at all of 2" for the male and 1.5" or so for the female)... They're interesting looking high bodied cons. They seem to be pretty nasty in disposition as they killed one of the group and some other fish I was growing out. They're now alone.

Mesonauta mirificus - Peru festivum collected by Mike Barber. This pair has begun spawning every other week or so in my 180g South American community. I pulled some fry and was artificially raising them but just don't have the time to dedicate with my new work schedule. Amazingly, they're able to raise fry to wigglers with bunches of other fish in the tank.

...and (not New World):

Alcolapia alcalicus "Soda Lake Cichlid" - I traded some Barolmbi Mbo fish for a group of these guys (and some other Barombi Mbos) from Duane S in Milwaukee. Unfortunately the shipping box got quite cold and lost most of the ones he sent me. Fortunately, two survived and are a male and female. I keep them in a 2'x2'x1' with Ivanacara and some baby Central Americans...tap water...drift wood...78 degrees or so (one of my few tanks with a heater)...basically the opposite of their natural conditions...I stripped the 2" female and she had 6 fry (they're mouthbrooders). It was her second spawn (I let her hold too long last time and I think she spit in the tank). Duane's gonna send me some more ladies.

Matt

mchambers

Former CCA member
Australoheros sp. "Canada Local" - These are from Valentines, Uruguay and turn yellow, black and brown (kind of like old school San Diego Padres uniforms when they breed). I've bred these guys before and thought that they were getting ready to spawn when I cleaned their tank and found wigglers.
You've watched the San Diego Padres breed? Eeewwwhhh.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Good deal on all the spawning activity, Matt. I'll second Matt's comments on the Rio Cabayo cons. My male is hands down the meanest fish I have ever kept. He killed his female months ago. I then put him in a 55 with some other cryptoheros grow outs, and he killed 2 fish the first night and another 3 with a few days before I could get another tank set up for him. He now lives a lonely life in his own 10 on the bottom rack.

dogofwar

CCA Members
A couple more (from this evening's pre-Game of Thrones water changes):

Stomatepia pindu: stripped a holding female of about 15 wigglers... a little early. These are known as really tricky fish to get fry from because the females spit at the sight of a net. I wasn't sure when she began holding, so I unfortunately stripped her a bit early. We'll see if my tumbling skills are up to snuff! On a sad note, found my alpha male (nearly 6") dried on the floor yesterday. Got a couple of others in the colony..but he was a beaut!

Stomatepia mariae: Closely related to S. pindu (but green instead of black), these guys are also mouthbrooders from Lake Barombi Mbo. Got some little ones in a CARES trade about a year ago and have a female holding. We'll see if she holds to term (which is unlikely if they're like pindu). A fish that's so ugly that it's beautiful. Big ones remind me of saltwater snooks!

Anyone else having spring spawns?

Matt

dogofwar

CCA Members
Neets are pretty **** mean as well... I use a divider for those as well. Fortunately they're dimorphic enough that the female can slip through to breed but the male can't!

Matt

Good deal on all the spawning activity, Matt. I'll second Matt's comments on the Rio Cabayo cons. My male is hands down the meanest fish I have ever kept. He killed his female months ago. I then put him in a 55 with some other cryptoheros grow outs, and he killed 2 fish the first night and another 3 with a few days before I could get another tank set up for him. He now lives a lonely life in his own 10 on the bottom rack.

zackcrack00

Members
My kribs have breed more than my guppies. Which is oddly unsettling... My guppies have been pre-hit before I got them on the 13th, and no fry. While I brought a krib pair that didn't even know each other together and they spawned twice. Just my life. Go figure.

ErnieG

Members
I have pink hrp x hrp wigglers, caudopunctatus fry, yellow lab fry, demasoni fry, bristle nose fry, angelfish fry, apisto viejita fry, German blue ram fry, bolivian rams fry, neon tetra fry (this shocked the #### out of me lol), and sajica cichlid fry.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Pretty much!

I'm hoping that my big pair of Cichlasoma dimerus "Bella Union" settle down and spawn. They're chasing their pike tankmate around and eating red wigglers like they're going out of style... but no tube yet from the female.

Same with a really nice pair of wild red-breasted chanchitos that I got from Bill Benson. The female was displaying to the male through the divider but wasn't quite ready when I gave him access.

Matt

Nice, Matt! It's almost like a mini-tour of your fishroom!

dogofwar

CCA Members
Good stuff, Ernie!

Matt

I have pink hrp x hrp wigglers, caudopunctatus fry, yellow lab fry, demasoni fry, bristle nose fry, angelfish fry, apisto viejita fry, German blue ram fry, bolivian rams fry, neon tetra fry (this shocked the #### out of me lol), and sajica cichlid fry.

blkmjk

Members
Rio Magdalena umbee pair in my 150
P. Bredohri in my 90

Hopefully two-three, more spawns to report in the next couple of weeks. My newly acquired Red Tiger Mota Rio Copan pair and La Cieba yellow heads, followed by Honduran Jags.

Drew

NO GOOD DEED SHALL GO UNPUNISHED!

1bigdovii

Members
My dovii pair have wigglers.
My hogaboomorum group have started showing signs of a possible pair.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zackcrack00

Members
From what I saw at Aquamania, and what i heard on the forums, I'd sy he likes brown CA cichlids. Just kidding about the brown part, but CA definitely. Just a little joke I heard someone say to him about how they wont take all of the brown fish from HOT and that he can have them! ;D

dogofwar

CCA Members
Mostly New World but I have a few tanks of West Africans, the Soda Lake cichlids and some Madagascars.

No Malawi or Tang fish presently, though!

Matt

Thanks Matt, do u own alot of central american cichlid? Or do u own majority of African cichlids?