• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Species Identification

chriscoli

Administrator
All Kenyi are born blue, but the males turn yellow when mature. When I had them, you could still see some blue hues in them (in their fins or when not trying to show off for the female). Also, holding Kenyi females will sometimes take on a yellowish tinge....I guess the thought is that if they mimic a subdominant male, they won't be constantly harassed by the male.

zackcrack00

Members
Even though I don't know the species do you guys think people in the club would buy the fry if I show them the parents' pics? I just like breeding and selling...

chriscoli

Administrator
I would definitely want a positive I'd on any fish that I buy. There may be some people who don't worry so much about it, but I think most of us do.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Hi Zack,

Not 100% or anywhere near it, unfortunately.

My advice is to get some fish of known ID and work with them vs. these guys. You'll be much more able to sell the offspring and you'll even get BAP points when you breed them.

Matt

Is there an way to tell the species?

STATMATT

Members
I concur with Matt, The Potential for Hyrbridized fish is hurting the hobby. When someone goes to petco thinking they are getting X and then end up with XYZ that when fully grown looking nothing like X they feel swindled even though the event happened over a year prior. There is getting to be more and more of this.

It is always best to keep species that won't intermingle where you know the source. Most of the keepers here know exactly what the father and mom look like and have kept different species apart to ensure that hybridization does not happen.

Some people don't care and having any fish is jolly great to them!

Matt