• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

spawning Julidochromis in a community tank

LaurenH

Members
I have a pair of juvenile Julidochromis marlieri that are actively spawning in my 38gal tank that also has 1m/3f Lamprologus brevis and a handful of juvenile cyprichromis. The Julis are about 2" long, and the brevis are full grown. The juli's spawning cave is on the opposite side of the tank from the 2 shell piles for the brevis. Now that I have juli fry that are about a month old, the youngsters are leaving the nest. The julis keep going back between the young fry in their cave and the older fry in the shell piles and won't let anyone use the bottom half of the tank.

Any suggestions? I realize I may just have to put the shellies in their own tank but was hoping to avoid that...

rsretep

Members
Sometimes you can break up line of sight between the two species with a pile of rocks or plant to give them privacy. I have kept gold occies and ju'idochromis transcripts together in 40 breeder (36"x018") without issue, rock pile for Jules on one side of tank and bed of shells for lamprologus

verbal

CCA Members
what are the tank dimensions? If the tank is less than 36" long, it may be hard to create 2 distinct territories.

Leffler817

CCA Members
When I had Marleri spawning they did not like any shellies. I tried a few different groups to no avail. You might be ok in the short term by breaking up sight lines and such but a full grown male Marleri will reach 6". My male was that big and he was pretty relentless defending his territory in my 4' tank. Luck.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

LaurenH

Members
The tank is 36" long. I had tried putting a large vertical rock between the two groups, and that does help a little. Maybe I'll add a second.

I realize the marlieri will get big and have been saving up for a larger tank for them (hopefully a 75g!) I thought I could keep them in the 38g for a year or so, but they have started spawning earlier than I had expected.

What minimum tank sizes (both gallons and length) are appropriate for a single pair of brevis? Two pairs? Thanks!

Leffler817

CCA Members
What minimum tank sizes (both gallons and length) are appropriate for a single pair of brevis? Two pairs? Thanks!

I have bred Brevis 'Kitumba' in a 10 gallon. I started with 7 fish and let them pair off. You could possibly get away with one pair in a 3 or 5 gallon.

verbal

CCA Members
It looks like a separate tank for your shellies is the best bet. The good news is even a group should be fine in a 10 gallon tank.