• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Something That I Had Not Seen Prior.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Something that was a little different for me last night.

I was checking my Copadichromis trewavasae group last night and it looked like 3 of the females were
holding. I watched them for about 5 minutes and they were swimming around with the mouths full.
I have never had the male breed with more than one at a time so I was watching for a while.
I decided to feed the rest of the fish in there and when the food hit the water, all three females spit out one large piece of gravel and went for the food. Now I have seen fish pick up gravel to get food off of it but these were swimming around with the one piece for a long period of time. This evening one of them is actually holding eggs. Just seems strange to me. Could they have been showing off to the male?
"Hey there big boy. :jumpy: Look at how many eggs I can hold. :jumpy: " "Pick me"

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
It is gravel.
But it was not just moving. I get that all the time with the males. The girls were holding the stones not just moving them.....???
Sounded like the girls were working it to me. Maybe I should put in a street corner and some red lights?

daniel

Members
Wow, that's pretty crazy. I've never seen any fish keep gravel or sand in their mouths for any extended period of time. The only Copadichromis I have had before was chrysonatus, and the female only held eggs once or twice. It was difficult to tell when she was holding because there much less downward extension of the buccal cavity than with most other Malawi cichlids, or mouthbrooders period I guess. I'd be interested to know if they do it again and if it again coincides with a spawning...

Steve

Members
Pat,

Is it possible that you have some rather, um, "slow" females that were picking up gravel instead of eggs? (You did say that one is holding for real, so it seems like there was some genuine action going on.)
Oh, and that glass you were drinking from while you were watching the fish . . . care to share with the class exactly what was in it? :)

Cheers,
Steve

mscichlid

Founder
Maybe they are pretending so they don't have to be bothered. LOL!

That behavoir sounds so fascinating. Keep us posted on how it's going.