• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Some old pics... (56k warning)

emartin

Members
Some old pics of mine...

Tyrannochromis nigriventer F1 male
PICT0020.jpg

Lichnochromis acuticeps F1 male
PICT0021.jpg

Otopharynx tetraspilus:
PICT0297.jpg

Aulonocara stuartgranti Ngara
PICT0024.jpg

Exochochromis anagenys
PICT0028.jpg

Mchenga conophoros Otter Point
PICT0035.jpg

Aulonocara stuartgranti "Maulana bi-color"
PICT0339.jpg

Two 10" male Protomelas spilonotus Mara Rocks
sulphurheads%20(750%20x%20829).jpg

Protomelas sp. 'steveni taiwan' Taiwanee Reef
PICT0244.jpg

Bought as "Aulonocara 'hansbaenchi Regal'". My guess is it is either A. stuartgranti Cobue or A. stuartgranti Ft Maguire
PICT0044.jpg

PICT0155.jpg

PICT0159.jpg

A. stuartgranti "Maulana bi-color"
PICT0202.jpg

Sulphurhead:
PICT0204.jpg

Aulonocara stuartgranti Undu Neon F1 Male
PICT0118.jpg

Datnioides polota + Chromobotia macracanthus
PICT0122.jpg

FEMALE!!! Otopharynx lithobates Zimbawe
PICT0151.jpg

Otopharynx lithobates Zimbawe MALE. The flash washed out a lot of the orange-yellow in the dorsal fin. This fish looks better every week... Can't wait until they spawn...
PICT0034.jpg

That's all I could find now. Above was a mix of old fish I had or still currently have.

~Ed

emartin

Members
All those pics except for the one of the Aulonocara stuartgranti Undu were taken in the 265g 7ftx2ftx30". The other tank is a 120g that is 4ftx2ftx2ft that will soon be the permanent home of my Fahaka puffer... unless I buy a 125g-wide (still 6ft long, but 2ft wide) from glasscages eventually.

This is an even OLDER video from two years ago of my fish in the 265g eating krill and prawn. I know it looks like crap at first (filmed with vhs-cassette, then transferred via tv tuner to my pc) but I start zooming on to the fish at about 30seconds in and they are much clearer then.

The tank is no longer planted (the anubias wasn't it the sand, it was anchored down with lead strips and loosely wedged in between rocks. That (Anubias hastifolia I think it was) one died after I had to treat for ich when new fish came in (catfish) and had an outbreak) though I am thinking of putting a Aponogeton bovinanus back in there again...

Watch it here in 480p http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA3DeRH6jzY&fmt=18 or below:

[yt]<object width="960" height="745"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bA3DeRH6jzY&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bA3DeRH6jzY&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="960" height="745"></embed></object>[/yt]

Last edited:

emartin

Members
Oh in the video there are 1-2 of my old wildcaught Synodontis decorus. They were BIG...about 7". The one died, the other I sold at the last ECC auction for less than what I paid but I was happy to see it went to an experienced hobbyist...

I decided NOT to keep them anymore unless I do a planted tank or driftwood tank, as they just hid ALL the time and only came out for feeding. Plus when the malawi cichlids would get territorial for breeding they kept biting the streamers (they both HAD long beautiful dorsal streamers too...:().

Now I have clown loaches in there for life likely, and will be putting Botia histrionica in there as well. I also have a wild male (i think) Synodontis tanganicae in there...well two actually but I am donating the other one to the catfish raffle at ECC's auction since the larger one I am keeping makes life hell for that one. Those are probably in there for life as well...

I also have Siamese Algae Eaters in there... BIG ones about 5". They are probably going to have to be removed eventually as I have a feeling my wild caught tyrannochromis will make snacks of them once they are finished growing to full adult size...

A likely permanent resident if he behaves now is a Datnioides polota. I am also growing out a Datnioides microlepis but I don't think I will keep him for life...they get bigger and he's a HUGE PIA to even get to accept frozen let alone pellets...

emartin

Members
Thanks everybody.

I can't wait until my replacement Exochochromis anagenys are big enough to go in the 265g... Biggest one now is about 2.5"

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
Great looking fish E! And yes it's a Cobue by the way.

Now I see why Tony is going nuts with those larger Haps. LOL!

Thanx for sharing Man!!!
;)))

RM

emartin

Members
Great looking fish E! And yes it's a Cobue by the way.

Now I see why Tony is going nuts with those larger Haps. LOL!

Thanx for sharing Man!!!
;)))

RM
I'm thinking Cobue as well, but the Cobue pics I see don't quite match up 100% on the color.

Both Cobue and Ft Maguire and one more location I think all share the hansbaenschi regal name...

I'm wondering if what I used to have was actually BOTH Cobue and Ft Maguire bred together... Either way nice fish. If I bred them I would've probably have sold them as "A. stuartgranti 'hansbaenschi Regal'"...

That male I had I got at an LFS that got it from Atlantis. I;m not sure where they get it from, they don't breed them at their facility in NY.

And I just LOVE haps! A large tank full of them is just awesome...

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
Good for you buddy! It's good to have you on our team here at the CCA.

By the way, I too have a wicked looking Cobue that I breed not to long ago. I simply love the velvet blue color they have. It's rather different then a Mbenji or Mdoka and even a Ngara. The only thing is that they don't get that big. Keep it coming with the pix.

Cheers Mate,

RM

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Amazing fish pics and video dude. Definitely digging the Mara Rocks spilonotus, the lichno and the TR..... oh yeah, the tetraspilus too.

I have the variety in my 180, they just need to grow out a bit. :)

Honestly, I can't imagine how folks could see these pics and not want to setup a big hap tank. :D

Jumbie

Members
If I were really into Africans than I would most defiantly do Haps I think they are really awesome!!

emartin

Members
Amazing fish pics and video dude. Definitely digging the Mara Rocks spilonotus, the lichno and the TR..... oh yeah, the tetraspilus too.

I have the variety in my 180, they just need to grow out a bit. :)

Honestly, I can't imagine how folks could see these pics and not want to setup a big hap tank. :D
Especially since most Datnioides can be kept with Haplochromines!

I'm going to keep that Datnioides polota in there for life... I just have to net him out soon can starve him to make him accept pellets. He will only eat frozen food and mouth flakes once in a while. What he does when he gets hungry is he swims up to the haps when they are at the top begging for food and he grazes scales off of them...

I have a Datnioides microlepis growing out but I don't think I will keep him for life..probably will sell him in a few months since that species can get up to 18" I think (the D. polota only 12-14", but usually no more than 10", which is perfect for haplochromines as long as he isn't aggressive).