• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

So... Malawi, huh?

rich_one

Members
Okay... new question.

Its gonna take me quite a bit of time to get the money to buy males only, because of the sizes they need to be to be sexed. So I am wondering about the viability of a new plan. What if I get my hap/peacock population as unsexed juvies (way cheaper), and then as males and females become apparent, I remove the females, and replace them with males as I go along. That will allow me to get a population of fish now, and then slowly turn it into an all male tank as they grow, at a more affordable rate.

Does this seem like a sound idea... or a bad idea?

-Rich

fischfan13

Banned
Okay... new question.

Its gonna take me quite a bit of time to get the money to buy males only, because of the sizes they need to be to be sexed. So I am wondering about the viability of a new plan. What if I get my hap/peacock population as unsexed juvies (way cheaper), and then as males and females become apparent, I remove the females, and replace them with males as I go along. That will allow me to get a population of fish now, and then slowly turn it into an all male tank as they grow, at a more affordable rate.

Does this seem like a sound idea... or a bad idea?

-Rich

Possible bad, or near impossible, idea.

Some of the females will look identical.

rich_one

Members
Possible bad, or near impossible, idea.

Some of the females will look identical.
Well alrighty then. Consider that idea appropriately blowed up! LOL...

Back to plan A) get as many of the less expensive ones as I can get with about $80, and build from there.

Thanks for the quick reply!

-Rich

Buckcich

Members
Labidochromis caeruelus sp. Nhkata Bay aren't readily available, more costly tham Yellow lab's, if you are budget conscious

rich_one

Members
Yep... budget conscious at the moment. Just need to get a population going, then I can add the more expensive ones as I go. Wifey just returned to work after a year long layoff, so shouldn't be too long before we get things back up to speed, and I'm not as financially tied down as I am right this moment (great time for a tank redo, right? LOL...)

-Rich

rich_one

Members
Thanks, Richard!

Work in progress... small budget to get it started, but hopefully I can get it going here soon, one way or the other!

-Rich

rich_one

Members
Buckcich just gave me a great offer, and I decided to accept it! I have my start! I'm getting the following from him, at a great deal (thanks for helping me out, buddy... I greatly appreciate it):

Sc. Fryeri @5"
Aul. Maulana @~2"
Aul. Flametail @2 1/2"
3 Yellow lab's @2 3/4"

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I like the change in strategy. Bill is right in that you will have some trouble identifying different females, so you have to be careful.

From your list below, here's what I'm thinking you can and can't get away with.

-Placidochromis may be tough. I have only grown out and spawned P. electra and phenochilus and they are somewhat similar (blue with black vertical bars). If you got the fry separately, you may be able to tell, but I can't recall differences off the top of my head. Not sure what the other juvenile Placidochromis patterns look like, but probably very similar.

-Copadichromis - Gonna be pretty rough to tell I think. There are some very obviously different female melanin patterns (mloto "Fluorescent" has no spots, borleyi has dark fins, but you are not getting either of these). I haven't kept virginalis or trewavasae, but believe that they're both silver fish with 1-2 spots.

-Otopharynx tetrastigma - pretty sure they will be ok. I've tried to go back and look for old pics of them when I had them a couple years back. Could only find shots of the boy, but I believe that the females have no melanin. Could be similar to the lethrinops, but the head shape would be the giveaway (lethrinops have sort of a snub nose).

-Otopharynx lithobates - no problem. Elongated body, 3 spots, they all turn brownish/camo at about 1.5"-2".

-Mylochromis/Cyrtocara moori/Protomelas - All very distinct from the rest.

-Aulonocara will be tough. If you tried two groups together, the red jakes and something else would probably work. The red jakes (Otter Point and Eureka) females are straight up brown and have orange trim on their fins whereas most other peacock females are sort of silver. S. fryeri look a bit similar, but are more elongated and do not have the vertical stripes.

Again, when I say that something's ok, I mean that they will be ok to grow out together, but some will have to be separated once they mature or they will fight and/or interbreed.

I'm partial to this method, because that's what I did. I'd say 90% of my breeding groups were grown out from 2" or less - most smaller. It's a great way to do it, but unless you're careful and judicious with getting rid of fish, you'll end up with 15 tanks before you know it, lol.

If you wanted to stick with all males,* then get 5 very different looking groups to grow out. Get 6 of each. Grow them out. Trade off extra males/females for ones you don't already have. This would be a very economical way to do it.

*If you decide to instead go with a number of groups in the tank (similar to my 180), then you're already there. I'll get into which groups would go together long term when I get some more time. Alternatively, you could always setup a 40 breeder or 55 to keep a group you really like.

Anyways, I'm rambling and need to get work done. If you have time, come over and check out my fish room. You're always welcome.

rich_one

Members
Thanks, Tony!

As it turns out, I think I have a decent start, but would be interested in learning more about the number of groups for growout angle, when you get a chance. I'll also figure out a time to come by for a visit!

-Rich

rich_one

Members
Buckcich just gave me a great offer, and I decided to accept it! I have my start! I'm getting the following from him, at a great deal (thanks for helping me out, buddy... I greatly appreciate it):

Sc. Fryeri @5"
Aul. Maulana @~2"
Aul. Flametail @2 1/2"
3 Yellow lab's @2 3/4"
Question. Will nimbochromis venustus go with the fish above, or are they too big/aggressive?

Thanks!

-Rich

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Fine on the short term, but will get too big in the long term and end up bullying your peacocks imo.

rich_one

Members
Fine on the short term, but will get too big in the long term and end up bullying your peacocks imo.
Thanks. Will stay away then. Someone is offering two of them to me, so if anyone is interested, let me know, and I'll point them your way. They have not quoted a price yet.

-Rich