• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

So, I stumbled across this

Becca

Members
Looks like I'll be getting a phone call from the manufacturer in an hour or two to find out a little more about these products. Guess I'll cue them in to the upcoming BFD :). Might be interesting if they can make it as a vendor for the Marketplace.

Joie Yuen

CCA Members
Hi Becca,

This is Joie from Big Block Aquarium Filters...we spoke earlier today about the filters, the forum and the upcoming events.

To answer Lock jaw's question, using the air lift principle, water is drawn through the sponge on the bottom of the filter and passes through the static media, and then into the chamber with the moving bed media. This allows the beneficial bacteria contained within the sponge and the static media to filter out the ammonia and nitrites (and some nitrates depending on the static media used). The moving bed media (K1) also removes ammonia and nitrites from the water column and is very efficient at doing so. The moving bed media also has the added benefit of removing older beneficial bacteria from its surfaces via the tumbling action caused by the air rising from the air stone. Our Facebook page has a few videos of the filter in action.

The filter is air driven and resides inside of the tank, so if there's a power outage, you shouldn't have as rapid a die-off of the beneficial bacteria you might see in a canister or HOB filter. I actually have several units on my personal tanks hooked up to a backup battery (the type used for computers) and when the power has gone out, it kept running for a couple of hours until the power came back on...the fish were none the wiser! You could probably hook up a canister filter or HOB to a backup battery, but it would most likely drain the battery much faster.

The only part of the filter that really needs cleaning is the sponge filter, which you can rinse out in tank water (in a separate bucket, not the actual tank) and replace back into the filter. I personally clean my filters out twice a year and that's with 6+ adult discus being fed three times a day. If there's a question of whether the filter needs cleaning, all you have to do is inspect the media through the front window, it's that easy.

I could keep rambling on, but if anyone has specific questions, please feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer.

Thanks,
Joie

Becca

Members
Hi Becca,

This is Joie from Big Block Aquarium Filters...we spoke earlier today about the filters, the forum and the upcoming events.

To answer Lock jaw's question, using the air lift principle, water is drawn through the sponge on the bottom of the filter and passes through the static media, and then into the chamber with the moving bed media. This allows the beneficial bacteria contained within the sponge and the static media to filter out the ammonia and nitrites (and some nitrates depending on the static media used). The moving bed media (K1) also removes ammonia and nitrites from the water column and is very efficient at doing so. The moving bed media also has the added benefit of removing older beneficial bacteria from its surfaces via the tumbling action caused by the air rising from the air stone. Our Facebook page has a few videos of the filter in action.

The filter is air driven and resides inside of the tank, so if there's a power outage, you shouldn't have as rapid a die-off of the beneficial bacteria you might see in a canister or HOB filter. I actually have several units on my personal tanks hooked up to a backup battery (the type used for computers) and when the power has gone out, it kept running for a couple of hours until the power came back on...the fish were none the wiser! You could probably hook up a canister filter or HOB to a backup battery, but it would most likely drain the battery much faster.

The only part of the filter that really needs cleaning is the sponge filter, which you can rinse out in tank water (in a separate bucket, not the actual tank) and replace back into the filter. I personally clean my filters out twice a year and that's with 6+ adult discus being fed three times a day. If there's a question of whether the filter needs cleaning, all you have to do is inspect the media through the front window, it's that easy.

I could keep rambling on, but if anyone has specific questions, please feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer.

Thanks,
Joie

This explanation makes much more sense than Unicorn farts. Welcome to the forum, Joie!

In a tank with substrate, would the substrate impede the function of this at all? I noticed you have videos where a heater is integrated into the filter, too. Have you found this increases the efficiency of heating the tank at all?

lock jaw

CCA Members
Hi Becca,

Thanks,
Joie

Thanks Joie

Joie Yuen

CCA Members
This explanation makes much more sense than Unicorn farts. Welcome to the forum, Joie!

In a tank with substrate, would the substrate impede the function of this at all? I noticed you have videos where a heater is integrated into the filter, too. Have you found this increases the efficiency of heating the tank at all?
Hi Becca,

Substrate should not impede the function of the filter as long as the substrate isn't blocking the sponge. The bottom cover is a solid piece and would rest on the substrate. Each side of the housing has an opening at the bottom for water to pass through the sponge...as long as those openings aren't covered, the substrate won't affect the filter.

As for the heater, I do find that the water heats up a bit faster than having it just sit by itself in the tank. The flow of air/water within the filter does a good job of drawing the heat from the heater into the water column faster.

Joie

Joie Yuen

CCA Members
That is my understanding. Honestly, they're really nice looking as far as in-tank filters go. Almost as mesmerizing as the fish.
Hi Becca and Blaise,

You're both correct...they are in-tank moving bed filters, but they also have the added benefit of sponge and bio media filtration.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Joie, the size of the fluidized bed seems to be a bit small. Wouldn’t it be better to do some fixed media instead for bacterial growth? Just curious. Looks like a cool product.

Joie Yuen

CCA Members
Hi CSnyder00, good question...the sponge in the bottom portion and the bio media above that (ceramic rings or media of your choice) provide quite a bit of fixed media surface area for beneficial bacteria. The K1 media does an excellent job of providing surface area for beneficial bacteria growth as well. The beauty of this filter is you can adjust the media to fit your needs. If you want more fixed media, you can either reduce the amount of sponge (to a certain degree) or K1 too.