• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

So Excited!!!!

Lively

Members
I'm staring obsessively at the road... seraching for any UPS sign, a trail of dust a flash of brown (anyone else thinking Dune right now? lol)

I'm getting 6 Electric Blue JD's this morning!!!! My first fish shipment by mail I feel like a kid just getting up and waiting for Mom and Dad to put on thier slippers so I can tear downstairs and open my Christmas presents!!!!

F8LBITE

Members
I love getting fish shipped in!!! My coworkers think im a weirdo cuz I get freaked out looking for the truck. Then I gotta take off and Medivac them home!!!! My boss is really cool about it.

Lively

Members
*pouting* It's 10:35 and they aren't here... was to be 10:30 at latest. Calling UPS now...

Lively

Members
Noon for my area... sigh.

That's cool that your boss is good about that. I had a boss that let me keep baby birds in the office. My cat had taken down the nest and they had to be fed every hour - he was a cool boss.

Cartel

Members
My first fish shipment was fun too. I get them delivered to work sometimes too then jet home durng lunch. A couple coworkers keep fish the rest are all wtf is that a fish about it.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I usually have the shipments held at the UPS shipping center/post office near my office.

That way they're available earlier and aren't bouncing around in the back of the hot/cold delivery truck. Oh yeah, and a box of fish doesn't just show up for my wife to find :)

Lively

Members
:character0272:Got mine!!!!

Hard to see the colors in blue water - but they are all fine and fiesty - trying to jump out of the bucket!! Acclimating them now, driving me batty that it takes so darn long... I want them in my tank NOW! lol

Lively

Members
I usually have the shipments held at the UPS shipping center/post office near my office.

That way they're available earlier and aren't bouncing around in the back of the hot/cold delivery truck. Oh yeah, and a box of fish doesn't just show up for my wife to find :)

Actually, I considered that - but the centers are either in Chantilly or Winchester. Both are a good hour from me either in distance or because of traffic.

Hubby doesn't give me much grief about my fish.. yet lol

dogofwar

CCA Members
Not sure what others do but I don't acclimate fish that have been shipped to me: open the bag, pour the fish into and net and the nasty shipping water into a bucket...and straight into the quarantine tank.

Getting them out of shipping water is job #1. I've had good luck with this approach.

:character0272:Got mine!!!!

Hard to see the colors in blue water - but they are all fine and fiesty - trying to jump out of the bucket!! Acclimating them now, driving me batty that it takes so darn long... I want them in my tank NOW! lol

lonlangione

Members
I use the "Han's method of acclimation" Get em outta the bag and into the tank........ I did it with a shipment of fish from Singapore and out of 450 fish I lost 2. For years I spent an hour or two mixing water or dripping water into the fish. After hearing Han's speak about how he acclimates his discus, I have been doing it this way ever since. No losses. It makes sense to get them outta that shipping water as soon as possible.

Lonny

dogofwar

CCA Members
I guess I belong to the Hans School of fish acclimation as well :)

I use the "Han's method of acclimation" Get em outta the bag and into the tank........ I did it with a shipment of fish from Singapore and out of 450 fish I lost 2. For years I spent an hour or two mixing water or dripping water into the fish. After hearing Han's speak about how he acclimates his discus, I have been doing it this way ever since. No losses. It makes sense to get them outta that shipping water as soon as possible.

Lonny

Lively

Members
Well, I have joined the Hans club! lol Pics on the way, downloading from my camera now. All are lovely (now i can see the colors) two have the promise of being exceptional!! Off to photoshop!

Julie

Members
I've braved the ridicule and stone throwing at me for years for my *Hail Mary* method for acclimatizing fish. So named because tho we used to take our time acclimatizing fish over hours, the fish that were DYING IN THE BAG needed a chance.. so I'd just toss them in the tank... hence Hail Mary, full of grace... ;)

Then I decided that it worked so well for them, I do it for all the fish now. IF they are extremely cold, I will float them, and in general I open boxes, float the bags in the tanks they are going to, just to get to all the bags as fast as possible in case there are any *emergencies* as it can take hours to unbag fish sometimes!

But... congrats Lively... glad they came in great shape!

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
"Hans" method here too.

Seldom loose anything when using this.

Get them out of the amonia and into fresh is my moto