• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Snow for water changes?

Becca

Members
It doesn't leave you with much water does it? But other than that I would say go for it.

Nope - if I'm lucky I'll get 2 gallons... I was thinking of using it in the 29, though, which probably only has 20 gallons of water in it. If they melt fast enough I can consolidate into one bucket and go fill up again...:lol:

mchambers

Former CCA member
Although I think Holly's concern is well founded, I've used snow runoff from my rain barrels in some of my aquariums without problem. I've tested the runoff with polyfilter and not found any pollutants, at least not any that change the color of the polyfilter.

Becca

Members
Although I think Holly's concern is well founded, I've used snow runoff from my rain barrels in some of my aquariums without problem. I've tested the runoff with polyfilter and not found any pollutants, at least not any that change the color of the polyfilter.

Polyfilter?

I just filled 2 more buckets and packed the snow, definitely heavier this time. I brought them into the room with the wood stove so hopefully they'll melt a little faster.

I'm sure it has touched something nasty on the way down, but so has water for all of the fish I've kept outdoors, and they didn't seem to mind. Who knows?