• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

SMECO finally caught up with me

:eek:i got a memo in the mail last week from SMECO comparing my power usage to my neighbors, needless to say with the 12 tanks, over filtration and all the associated equipement supported them I am waaaaay ahead of everyone else in the neighborhood.

i was curious if anyone else has gotten one of these nice to have noticces and if so what have you done to reduce your power consumption?

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Better than the DEA showing up at your door asking about your power consumption. ;)

What did the memo say? Are they going to hit you with an increased rate?

ddavila06

Members
****! .. are you using high end equipment? large stuff?? high output lights???
i try to get energy efficient stuff when i can...that is not too much $$..i run around 16 small tanks and have not gotten the notice yet ;)

JasonC

Members
I got the same type of letter.. but my worst useage was at the times that we have all the biga$$ 3 way lamps fired up in my house (150w max). So cant wait for someone to release a viable 3-way LED...

When my house is in stasis (no one home, just my tanks and computer running) I think I am averaging less than a half a kW per hour. Still higher than average, but respectible, I think. Don't know if SMECO lets you see your usage by the hour (BGE does on their website), but that may help you isolate your real problem areas as far as usage. If your baseline is super high, then it may be your tanks... but you may be pleasantly surprised.

Becca

Members
I keep waiting for something like this from the water company related to our weekly changes on the 150... eeek.

Nothing was mentioned about a rate increase at this time I think it was more for informational purposes. I am going to look into the usage by hour and see if that does help break it down more for me.

Tony I do agree with you regarding not having the DEA show up at my front door asking questions. Im sure that would have been an interesting conversation "yeah from supporting the quanity of aquariums in my house, reallY"

Hannibal

Members
The wife was complaining about my usage as well so I am breaking down three of my smaller tanks and combining them into a larger tank.

I also cut back my lighting with timers and am looking for energy efficient lighting. Probably going the LED route.

Planning on taking my 15 column and 20L into work and setting them up though :D

Owens

Members
I get these from BGE, pretty sure they are just letting you know your paying more than your neighbors. Mine seems high from just my 2 tanks, could only imagine that many!

chriscoli

Administrator
Pepco sends a letter now comparing your use to your neighbors. Although we are not the worst in the neighborhood....we're pretty far up there.

I've been bumping my heaters back a degree or two...we'll see if that helps.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Hmm
Been running 50 or more tanks for 11 years in a row now.
Never got anything from BGE other than a thank you. LOL

Reminds me of one of our speakers from the past.
Been raided by the Mounties 2 times over the years because of his heat signature.

JLW

CCA Members
I used to have a friend who had a 1800-gallon reef aquarium in his basement. This was in the late 90s, before something like this was even heard of ... The lighting systems that are used for this sort of thing were nonexistent, and he used big metal halides from the local hardware store. Apparently, someone sent in an anonymous tip that he wasn't keeping coral in the basement. They subpoenaed his power usage and the heat signature, and used that to get a warrant. During dinner, naturally, DEA, state police, etc., in full tactical gear used a battering ram to break down his front door.....

dogofwar

CCA Members
We actually don't use much energy for 50-ish tanks. It all runs on 3 Coralife air pumps, an FX5, a couple of power heads, a handful of heaters and 3 14W fluorescent bulbs :)

Water on the other hand...

Matt

SportyG1rl

Members
Haven't received a notice from SMECO yet...however, have noticed a significant increase in my bill. Funny my water bill has decreased though!

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Spencer, the speaker, swears that one of the cops from the second raid, bought fish from him after the raid. LOL