• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Smaller canister filter?

Beeman

Members
I know that many of you are big fans of the fx5 canister filter. I only have experience with AC HOB filters to present, and have no complaints with them. I will be setting up a 75g tank next month, and think it's time I wet my feet(but hopefully not literally) with a canister filter. My thinking though, is that an fx5 would be over-kill on a 75g. Any suggestions on a smaller canister filter that you all have experience with that is dependable and of high quality? The fx5's are so big, and I really don't foresee moving up to a tank worthy of such a hulking 'sucker-upper' in the near future.

ddavila06

Members
i like my fluvals a lot and i swear by them!
i have 404s and 403. now they have the new "improved" version

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Would suggest two smaller filters rather than one large one.

Same rationale as using two small heaters rather than one large one - if one jams/fails life goes on. But since simplicity is king, could see just using one large one, especially as canisters are generally very reliable. And because over-filtration is a good thing, why not an FX5? I have an Eheim 2227 and a 2028 on my 75 and it's just about what I consider optimal although either filter is ostensibly sufficient just by its lonesome. That being said if I had it do over would be tempted to just run a pair of AC 110s.

Congrats on the step up in tank size - a 75 with its extra 6" of depth is the real deal.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I used to run an FX5 on my 75. I never thought it was "too much" filtration. I since moved the FX5 onto a 125 with a second FX5 and replaced the filtration on the 75 with two 110s and a sponge filter.

I prefer redundancy in filters. I have a fluval 305 and 405 (or two 405s) on ALL my tanks, including a 40, 45 and 58. They are work horses, they are inexpensive, and if one fails, the other is still more than capable of handling the load temporarily. I can also move filters easily between tanks, such as when a biological culture in one tank suddenly fails.

Beeman

Members
I can also move filters easily between tanks, such as when a biological culture in one tank suddenly fails.[/QUOTE]
Ok, now I'm just curious! When does a bio. culture suddenly fail? No offense at all intended. I simply have never considered that such a thing could happen.
I'm really on the fence with the canister filters! I feel I should have some experience with them since so many are over-the-top in love with them. But truthfully, I find the HOB's to be soo easy to access and maintain, and find the only possible drawback to be the off-set from the wall! Am I really missing anything here?!?

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Definitely

Am I really missing anything here?!?

The thrill of a blown/disconnected hose siphoning your tank water out onto the floor, the joys of priming a canister (over-rated), the infinite variations involving how, if and where to attach/route/adjust intake and outflow tubes - there's more (like pricey media) but those are the highlights.

I've never crashed the micro-biota of an entire tank either but I'd guess it had something to do with antibiotic use (or attempting to utilize a canister as part of a home distillery).

ddavila06

Members

The thrill of a blown/disconnected hose siphoning your tank water out onto the floor, the joys of priming a canister (over-rated), the infinite variations involving how, if and where to attach/route/adjust intake and outflow tubes - ).

that probably did it, this person is running away form canisters for sure! lol:lol:

i have nothing but sponge and ceramic rings inside as media, no carbon. and use a prefiilter (more sponge) in the intake tube. only one 405 in the 75 gal and the one time i went to vacation and cleaned the filter and forgot to release the water flow back on the filter stayed shut off two months without the tank crashing......... i do have a koralia in which provided with the right amout of water flow to keep things well and the tanks was heavily planted as always :rolleyes:

dogofwar

CCA Members
What kind of fish are you planning on keeping in the 75g, Barry?

I'm decidedly NOT a fan of canisters - a PITA to clean - but I'm not in the majority here ;)

For reference, I filter the 75g in my fishroom (stocked with a group of 5-7" Cichlasoma dimerus and a pair of wild Uruguayan pike) with a sponge filter and a box filter (large sizes of each).

Matt

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
I only tend to use one power filter per tank. how many of us have had a canister filter fail on a tank? I haven't. Its just a waste of resources. I will say thast I do have two filters on many 90 in the in formal dinning room (a 2217 and a 350). The 350 is set up as a water polisher via a poret cartridge. I do sponge and box filters on a few air powered tanks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Beeman

Members
What kind of fish are you planning on keeping in the 75g, Barry?

Matt

Hey Matt, I plan on moving my mbuna out of the 55 I started them in back in April. And what of the 55 you ask? Possibly a group of n. brichardi OR a group of Vics. After Greg Steeves talk a few months back, I'm motivated to help keep a couple species alive in the trade. But I have all winter to plan that one.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Canisters vs. HOB

Ok, now I'm just curious! When does a bio. culture suddenly fail? No offense at all intended. I simply have never considered that such a thing could happen.
I'm really on the fence with the canister filters! I feel I should have some experience with them since so many are over-the-top in love with them. But truthfully, I find the HOB's to be soo easy to access and maintain, and find the only possible drawback to be the off-set from the wall! Am I really missing anything here?!?

On biological cultures failing, I have not had it happen, but Hollyfish2000 has reported spikes in nitrites in the past. I don't think she's never actually figured out what caused the problem. (It could be something to do with the moonshining activities Sam has mentioned. I don't know.)

I started with HOB filters, but gradually have moved to canisters for most of my tanks. I still use Aquaclears on two tanks, just because I don't have room for canisters in those particular locations.

There are the problems Sam mentioned, and, as Matt Quinn says, they are more difficult to clean than HOB filters.

On the other hand, they have more capacity than HOB filters, so you don't need to clean them as often. They also are quieter and can be placed out of the way and out of sight in many cases. I think you get better circulation, because you can place the intake and output at various locations in the aquarium.

I only run a single filter on each aquarium. Redundancy has its place, but at what cost? If a filter fails, I do have a spare HOB on the shelf, and could move some biomedia from another filter into it to avoid a cycle.

I'm partial to Eheim canisters, which you can get on eBay if you're patient, but other canisters work well too.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I like the Cascades if you want something that works well without having to spend the money on a Fluval or Eheim. They're made by Penn-Plax, and I've had success with 2 different models on larger tanks. I have a Cascade 1000 on a 120g tank (paired with 2 AC110s) and I plan to add a Cascade 1500 to my 180g (paired with 3 AC 110s). I generally use the ACs for mechanical filtration (2 sponges) and a canister for biological. I don't keep much sponge in the canisters becuase you'll have to clean them more often when the flow rate slows down.

As others have mentioned about redundancy and overfiltration, its pretty tough to go overboard.

HOBs are noisy. That's my big beef. I don't open my canisters frequently so i don't find maintenance to be an issue.

yes, to the question about bio cultures failing, I've had it happen a few times -- including an entire peacock/hap show tank wipe out. I now age my water and it doesn't happen. Nevertheless, I can quickly swap out a filter from an unaffected tank into a tank with a spike and help solve the problem easily.

You also have to realize that I'm neurotic, so double filtering all tanks is quite within my personality profile

Plenipotentiary-at-large
High drama

To recap:

1) Canisters almost never fail - HOBs, even ACs, fail to restart during power outages all the time and are quite capable of causing infuriating leaks/discharges albeit generally not as suddenly or dramatically;
2) While canister use may indeed be subject to certain perils that are largely foreign to HOB/sponge/UG applications, said perils are often wildly exaggerated (in 4 years using 6-8 of them I have never had one blow a connection and drain a tank, priming is never more than a momentary issue if it appears at at all, and the intake/outflow quandaries are in fact options that allow much more flexibility/freedom to regulate and direct water movement inside the tank than what is afforded by other types of filters;
3) While all media is not created equal, a canister has room for much more of it than anything else. That means more bacteria, more time/interface between said bacteria and the waste products they consume, and better filtration. Period.
4) Despite what respected (formerly) CCA members may offer on the subject, one of the joys of canister filters is that they don't really need to be cleaned more often than once a year, particularly if one is using pre-filter sponges. Said sponges will require periodic cleaning, but a canister itself is no more or less needful of maintenance than a giant (and aesthetically unappealing) slab of Poret foam physically situated inside a tank.
5) In technical parlance, all filters are a "PITA" to clean - that is simply the norm for taking out the trash and/or cleaning a bathroom, filter service is no exception.
6) No one uses canisters simply because they're "cool" (except for maybe Mssr. Chambers and Holly whom we all secretly look to for clues on how to dress, speak and act so that we also can he hipsters - Francine is simply in a class by herself and beyond compare/emulation). We use canisters because they're really dependable and good at what they do.

That being said, all filter aps are pretty good at what they do or we wouldn't be using them, spawning the bejeezus out of our minions and basically giving them away on account of low mortality levels resulting in more fish than we really have space in which to keep them.

The truth is, this whole aquatic obsession can be a PITA, but as its more gratifying than most such posterior aggravations, it is not without reward. Like CCA, my favorite and arguably the most exalted monthly social event of the greater DC/Baltimore metropolitan area in this the capital of the most amazing nation in recorded human history.

The offense(-iveness) rests.