• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Signs Of Spitting?

cyradis4

Members
Hi!

I have this female Afra.... Yea, I know, you guys are probably tired of hearing about her....

But I was wondering what the signs that an Mbuna (and other fish as well!) is about to spit her fry? I think she has been holding these for over three weeks, but I forgot to write down the date (Bad girl!) so I'm only guessing.... It could be longer, or it could be shorter.....

Just wanna know what your experiences have been!!!!

Amanda.

PS: Here is the girly, when do you guys think she will spit?

AfraPuluusholdingFemale02212008a.jpg

DeeCee

Members
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyradis4 @ Feb 23 2008, 12:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Amanda.

PS: Here is the girly, when do you guys think she will spit?[/b]

Knowing that it's a female, I'd guess she'll spit whenever she darn well feels like it, hon!

DC

maddog10

Members
No signs. One day she will just spit them out. Usually happens when 1 or 2 "escape", she will just say the heck with this and spit the rest out.

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DeeCee @ Feb 23 2008, 08:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Awesome feesh, Mr Ricardo!
How in the world do you all find the time to have damn spotless tanks???

Sarah -- those Tropheus are beautiful. Too bad no points on the bulu though - you need to stop renting fish from people~~ Heee heee!

Paul - are you saying that you DO or DON'T have rocks in your tanks? I KNOW you've got a ton of gravel now! LOL

DC[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pat Kelly @ Feb 23 2008, 02:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
If she is by herself she will spit sooner than in a tank with others. Feels more secure.[/b]

I agree!

cyradis4

Members
And another question:

How long do I have, after she spits, to remove her? Before she decides to eat her babies, that is.

Later!
Amanda.

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
It's all relative to the kind of fish and it's typical behavior patterns. There are some African Cichlids that will eat their babies and some that won't. As soon as she spitts, feed her immediately so she won't eat her babies because you have to remember she hasn't eaten in weeks.

What I do is, as soon as she has a mouth full of babies I separate her to another tank. Then, I wait till she spits out the babies (fry), feed her immediately to get her back into shape. Also, do not put her back in the same tank with the male after she just spit out the babies. Reason being, is that she is weak and needs to get back in to shape(malnourished). As long as she is feed well, she won't eat her babies.

Now, here are the 3 reasons in my opinion that Females eat their babies;

1.) She is simply starving and she has to look out for number one.
2.) She absolutley despised the Daddy (male) and said, "The heck with your babies, I'm not bringing them in to this world." :angry3:
3.) She's got the Britney complex. :rolleyes:

Just remember, there are experts on the Forum that have the experience of breeding particular fish, they may be able to help you too.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
There is no telling if she will eat them.
I have some females that I have to watch close.
others would never touch a fry. They would starve first. Others hold till
they are good, then release them and start eating one or so an hour even if I feed
them right away. I usally put a little java moss in with the ones that like to eat fry.
that way some will get away.

marge618

CCA member
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (maddog10 @ Feb 23 2008, 02:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
No signs. One day she will just spit them out. Usually happens when 1 or 2 "escape", she will just say the heck with this and spit the rest out.[/b]

Soooo, can you tell when it's close to 'time' and put her alone in a tank where the fry won't get gobbled up?
Later,
Marge

PS: I got distracted. Somebody else types faster than me. Read post #7 and #8.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Most hold for around 3 weeks. I usually wait 2 weeks and then move to holding tank.
For some like the AER's, I wait a little longer because when you get near them with the net, they will spit most of the time. In other words she never makes it to the holding tank. She spits them into the net. Got to be ready.