• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Sick La Ceiba

Ericj7182

Members
My female la ceiba has been sick for about a week and I'm not sure what's wrong with her. Idk if she is egg bound, or if she has swim bladder disease. I've tried Epsom salt baths, methane (sp) blue baths, increasing temp, small water changes large water changes, changing diet and nothing seems to help. She swims a but and then drops back down as if she cannot support her own weight in the water. She will eat some gel food I made up with lots if daphnia, spirulina, massivore, dainichi color supreme, and hikari bio gold. I. Attaching a video of her from a few days ago. Does anyone have any ideas as to what's wrong with my fish. I've had her about three years and really don't want to lose her :(

http://youtu.be/V1y23TTavNM

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I have had similar issues in the past with two different fish. I think it is a swim bladder issue (or failure) that keeps the fish from being able to stay afloat in water. In one case, with a chocolate cichlid, she stayed alive, laying on the bottom of the tank, for around 6 months before I finally euthanized her. The other case was with a severum that I was keeping as a dither with by pair of citrenellum. The severum could not escape from the wrath of the female cit and died several days after the problem started, but most certainly from aggression than from the swim bladder issue. I have nothing to prove this, but I think that both cases were initally caused by a injury from aggression, either from direct contact or by running into something in the tank trying to get away from the aggression. Again, no evidence of it, but just my gut feeling.

Sorry about your fish. She's definitely beautiful, but I don't see much chance she will ever return to normal.

Ericj7182

Members
I had a divider up in the tank for about a month or two to give her a break bc they were spawning back to back. At the time I thought I was doing something good giving her a break, now I'm not so sure. She was perfectly fine until I out the divider up. She would just sit in front of the divider watching the male. She has a nasty sore on her bottom just under her gills from the pressure of where she has been laying.

Becca

Members
I had a Nannacara aureocephalus this happened to several months ago.

Over time, I've come to suspect TB. The sores can be from laying on their sides, but TB can also present as sores and swim bladder problems.

I've long thought that many fish probably harbor TB all their lives without showing outward signs, but that stress, etc. can cause them to succumb to it. Once symptoms start, I don't think there's much you can do.

Ericj7182

Members
I had a Nannacara aureocephalus this happened to several months ago.

Over time, I've come to suspect TB. The sores can be from laying on their sides, but TB can also present as sores and swim bladder problems.

I've long thought that many fish probably harbor TB all their lives without showing outward signs, but that stress, etc. can cause them to succumb to it. Once symptoms start, I don't think there's much you can do.

Yikes if she has TB! I've read that this can be passed on to me during my weekly water changes. I hope this isn't the case :/

I'd get rid of the sand its very abrasive and only going to make it worse. I would keep the tank very clean to avoid any infection and maybe even treat her as if it already were. Do you have any idea how old she is? Was she wild caught? If it is swim bladder the only thing I've ever had cure it was clout. That said I don't think it is swim bladder because if it was she would be gone by now. Wish I could offer more just my .02 $

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Ericj7182

Members
I got her from rapps a few yrs ago. I believe she is f1 or f2. Like you I have no idea what that is. I do have a ten gallon In storage I can set up for her with a sponge filter. I'm lost as to what this could be.

Becca

Members
I'm really hoping it's not TB bc then the male prob already has it too. Plus before today my hands have ben I the tank cleaning :(

If it's any comfort, it's fairly uncommon for this to pass to people. I worked in aquarium stores/hatcheries for years and even had a tank hit by TB years ago before I knew what it was and I've never gotten it. In fact, I've only known one person who did. Good hand-washing can help and, if you have open wounds on your hands, wear gloves.

Just because your male is exposed, doesn't mean he'll ever show symptoms, even if it is TB. TB has a lot of symptoms in common with other diseases, so it's hard to ever say for sure without seeking an actual veterinary opinion.

Ericj7182

Members
If it's any comfort, it's fairly uncommon for this to pass to people. I worked in aquarium stores/hatcheries for years and even had a tank hit by TB years ago before I knew what it was and I've never gotten it. In fact, I've only known one person who did. Good hand-washing can help and, if you have open wounds on your hands, wear gloves.

Just because your male is exposed, doesn't mean he'll ever show symptoms, even if it is TB. TB has a lot of symptoms in common with other diseases, so it's hard to ever say for sure without seeking an actual veterinary opinion.

Ty. It's difficult for me to tell if she is getting better or not. Today when I turned on the light she swam right to the top and stayed thee for a few seconds before falling back to the bottom. This is the first time she did this in a long time. Hoping my girl Lola pulls through :)