• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Should I be worried?

Just filled a 55g, and the center brace has slightly separated (i.e., broken) away from the back edge of the top frame. Does this mean the glass is bowing, or I am in some other danger of all 55g going on the floor??? :eek:

Crap! I have 28 fish coming in to BWI this afternoon for this tank!!! I guess I'll drain it a bit and see if the tank returns to shape!

dogofwar

CCA Members
Did the center brace actually break?

I've had tanks set up for years with broken center braces...

Matt

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Ruth:

I had the same thing happen with a used 55 I picked up. The tank actually bowed out over an inch when filled to the top. I wouldn't keep it full for long without replacing the frame. HOT usually has them in stock if you can't find one from another member.

Jon

Why do some 55g have a center brace and some do not? My other one does not have a brace and I have no clue whether it's deformed b/c of the water or not. Perhaps ignorance is bliss......

BTW, any thoughts on whether there is a DIY fix for re-attaching the center brace to the back edge? Not sure if I did the attachment right, but here's a pic of what's going on.

The true center portion has partially separated from the back edge of the frame, and then the top edge of the back has separated from the side edge. Not by huge amounts in either case, and not for longer than about 3".

DSC_0221.jpg

Plenipotentiary-at-large
That's a problem

On a 55 you can alleviate much/most of the stress by reducing the volume by 15 gallons or so assuming it's the modern style with thinner glass. Short-term fix is a cabinet clamp to maintain pressure on back and front panes and thus retain the tank's configuration when filled but they get in the way. Basically impossible to repair the brace itself or to cement a new glass or acrylic one in place without dismantling and clamping the tank.

Replacement frames can be had for around $25 locally in Baltimore (Kevin aka Spine knows with whom - may have to be ordered) and are less than $10 each on line but you won't save any money once you pay shipping unless you buy several. Are two slightly different styles/sizes of replacements, make sure you get the right one if you go that route, but you can put the new frame on without emptying the tank completely provided you have a sharp blade to cut away the old one and a tube of silicon. Worked for me anyway, whole operation took about 30-40 minutes, it's just finding the frame that's the problem.

Best solution might be to buy another 55 for $55 if they're currently available and repair the other at your leisure. Or if you remember the magic word and are willing to come pick it up in DC I have an extra one I'll give you for future consideration (and provided its the right size).

Thanks for at least letting me know that the tank won't instantly fall apart as I'm writing these messages. Nevertheless, I've drained about 1/2 the water out.

Sam, thanks VERY much for the offer, but for now, I'll hold off on a getting a completely different tank, since the fish arrive tonight and I need to put them into something, and because a new tank would mean taking out all the sand, rocks, etc. Why didn't I check this before 'scaping, you ask? Lazy, and over-confident since I bought from a CCA member who had the tank filled immediately prior to selling it to me. So, I'll clamp it, refill to a level where I can plug the sponge back in (thank goodness I'm not using a HOB or canister), and then go in search of a frame.

HAHA!! Different beast altogether. I am interested in just a frame! What info do you need to know about the tank to determine if the brace is the correct one of the two you described?

Last edited:

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
+1 on the cabinet clamp that Sam suggested. My brother used to have one on his 55 for a year or so. He ended up getting it to the right dimension, then cut off the piece that stuck out with a hacksaw, lol.

Perfect temporary fix.

On a separate note, what fish are you getting Ruth?

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Get your tape

Precise O.D. of the tank in both width and depth, and/or explanation of the frame configuration, i.e., what's the shape of the brace including where it attaches to the front and back of the frame (send photo). Tank brand won't hurt either if you know it...

On a separate note, what fish are you getting Ruth?

A better subject! :)

I'm getting 7 of each of the following, from Dave Schumacher:
- Cynotilapia Afra Nkhata Bay
- Labidochromis Perlmutt
- Melanochromis Cyaneorhabdos (Maingano)
- Iodotropheus Sprengerae (Rusty)

Nothing exotic, but a nice mix, I hope. I really wanted Ps. Elongatus Usisya, and I can't remember why I didn't include them instead of something else up there, but it could have been because they get too big (?) or because Dave didn't have them. I wanted everything at once - need instant gratification, plus wanted them to all be the same size to start off .

Precise O.D. of the tank in both width and depth, and/or explanation of the frame configuration, i.e., what's the shape of the brace including where it attaches to the front and back of the frame (send photo). Tank brand won't hurt either if you know it...

Front to back of the tank = 12 3/8"
Across the front (side to side) = 48"

Have no idea of the brand, but it has a wood-grain, brown, plastic frame top and bottom, about 1 1/4". The first picture here is how the center brace attaches at the back of the tank - pic taken from above. Here is the pic of how the front attaches, also taken from above. Pls let me know if you need anything else!

DSC_0221.jpg

DSC_0222.jpg

Sam - The light fixture (which matches everything exactly, and sits perfectly, so I'm pretty confident this is a real "set" not a bunch of random items cobbled together to form a set) has an All-Glass label on it. If that's not what you have, then it's no problem for me to just order one, now that I know exactly what I have. The cabinet brace is pretty ugly and I'm just waiting for somebody to crack their face or body on it!

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Uncertain

Sam - The light fixture (which matches everything exactly, and sits perfectly, so I'm pretty confident this is a real "set" not a bunch of random items cobbled together to form a set) has an All-Glass label on it. If that's not what you have, then it's no problem for me to just order one, now that I know exactly what I have. The cabinet brace is pretty ugly and I'm just waiting for somebody to crack their face or body on it!

The one I have is black with straight-arm bracing - it may not fit correctly as it s.eems to be just a bit wider (12 1/2'') than the one you have that has the center brace flared where it meets the front and back of the frame. But it also seems that the flared version was what my 55 had before I replaced it so it may work. You're welcome to give it a shot if you don't mind the color not matching - worst that could happen is that you go to put it on and it doesn't quite fit but at least you'd be ready for one that does. I'm in NW DC near 14th and U Street and can leave it on the porch in the event that you want to come by when I'm out.

The one I have is black with straight-arm bracing - it may not fit correctly as it s.eems to be just a bit wider (12 1/2'') than the one you have that has the center brace flared where it meets the front and back of the frame. But it also seems that the flared version was what my 55 had before I replaced it so it may work. You're welcome to give it a shot if you don't mind the color not matching - worst that could happen is that you go to put it on and it doesn't quite fit but at least you'd be ready for one that does. I'm in NW DC near 14th and U Street and can leave it on the porch in the event that you want to come by when I'm out.

Sure, I'm game to give it a try. The tank looks like crap now! I'll probably shoot for tomorrow early afternoon-ish. I should have your address on the membership roster. If I get it, I'll leave you a note. Thanks again.

What a PITA job!

But, it's done. Took me 2 1/2 hours this morning, using a variety of bladed tools, to get the old frame off and the new one on. But, thanks to Sam, I now have a new black top frame, without having to wait until Tuesday to order one, and then the rest of the week to get it! My hands look like I shook hands with Edward Scissorhands, and there were a couple of times I noticed blood on the inside glass of the tank! I have refilled the tank to about 2/3, enough to get heaters and filters going, and will top off tomorrow morning, after 24 hours of the silicone curing.

If my husband hadn't said "You'll never get that off," then I probably wouldn't have stuck with it!!!!