• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

ShockBuster GFCI to the rescue!

chriscoli

Administrator
So I had one of the lids off of my 100 gal tank last night....I was reaching in behind one of the corner mattenfilters to double check the brand/wattage of the heater.

Well, my heater controller was apparently not secured to anything (whoops, bad Chris!) and fell into the tank. I'm so glad that my hands were not in the water at that second!!!

Well, there was a quick half second of zapping and sizzling and then my GFCI popped the circuit and shut everything off.

Anyhow, just had to share my moment of freaking-out last night. I'm just so thankful that I have all of my tanks on a GFCI. Here's the one I like....it seems to be sensitive when I need it to be, but not too sensitive that it's tripping all the time for no reason.

41RzEkeAo4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Anyhow....I've taken the heater controller apart to let it dry out and will see if it still works in a few days. In the meantime, I've ordered another just in case it's dead. The fish didn't seem to be affected at all.

JasonC

Members
Wow! Definitely glad you weren't touching the water at the time... I've taken hits off of 120V and 208V and it is not fun *dry*... don't even want to think about wet.

A very good example of why GFCI is SO important.

chriscoli

Administrator
I have received mild shocks from a malfunctioning heater without it tripping, but at least now I know that it works for the big stuff!

daninmd

Members
I have never had a GFCI on my freshwater tanks, but I did on my saltwater tank for sure. the SW tank can conduct electricity pretty well and you can killed just reaching into a tank if there is a short. guess I should get one for my freshwater tank, although I don't think the electrocution risk is nearly as high there is no point in risking it.

mchambers

Former CCA member
My son and I installed GFCI outlets in our basement a few months back. It's not too hard, although Christine's solution would be easier.

I've tripped them a few times since then, although I don't think I would have been shocked without the GFCI.