• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Setting Up an A. Cacatuoides/Agassizi Colony

I'm starting up a fishroom in a little bit and while i was planning the tank layouts and what fish i want to breed and all that great stuff, I thought of My breeding trio:rolleyes:.

I want to put them in an above-ground pond. One option is a plastic koi pond, 72 gallons, 43 in long. I was thinking 2-3 males 8-10 females. Decorations would inclue sphagnum peat moss, river rocks/drift wood and a few artificial caves.
IMG_1441.jpg
The other option is making a custom pond with wood and pond liner, a little more work, but i could have 2 along the available wall. With that I could have 2-4 males 8-13 females. Same decorations. IMG_1439.jpg

IMG_1441.jpg

IMG_1439.jpg

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
My only thought is if you're building something big like that, you may want to toss in some larger fish. Without glass sides and with surface agitation from filtration, I can imagine observing apistos nearly impossible in one of those options. You'd probably be just as well off tossing your trio in a 10 or 20 gallon tank.

Now what to put in this vat you are building... hmmm...

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I agree with Tony. With something that you can only view from the top, I would go with bigger, more colorful fish. Apistos can comfortably live in much smaller tanks.

dogofwar

CCA Members
It could be a cool tub...I remember standing in about 8" of water hyacinth-choked water near Bella Union, Uruguay...and looking down on hundreds of pairs of Apistos each gaurding a little spot of turf. The females were bright yellow...

Not sure how this would translate to your tub (probably too deep to see them) but it inspired a nice memory.

I've kept bichirs, a lungfish and other stuff like that in tubs before.

Matt

I knew I would only be able to see from the top, and The orig. tank the trio was in was a ten gall. Now they r in a 33 long. The reason for this tub is to observe how they act in nature as close as possible, and make some money on the side.

I thought about bigger fish (green terror, oscar, large pikes, etc.), but I'm not a big fan [no pun intended:lol:].

the fish would be Apistogramma: cacatuoides, agassizi, panduro, and/or trifasciata.

Mikrogeophagus: Ramirezi

and maybe some dithers.

I'm starting up a fishroom in a little bit and while i was planning the tank layouts and what fish i want to breed and all that great stuff, I thought of My breeding trio:rolleyes:.

I want to put them in an above-ground pond. One option is a plastic koi pond, 72 gallons, 43 in long. I was thinking 2-3 males 8-10 females. Decorations would inclue sphagnum peat moss, river rocks/drift wood and a few artificial caves.
View attachment 4697
The other option is making a custom pond with wood and pond liner, a little more work, but i could have 2 along the available wall. With that I could have 2-4 males 8-13 females. Same decorations. View attachment 4698

if i use the wood-tub it will only be 15-24 in deep

Last edited:

samsmobb

Members
Won't it be hard to observe seeing as its hard to see fish from above? I'm on the same boat as the others I think it will very hard to see since they aren't too big :/

ether way, what would be the best water to filter this, a canister would be easy but i'm afraid it would suck up the fry w/o a perfecter, sponges would be cheap but i'd need a pump to recalculate the water (the tub will look like an up-side down L), and the big pond filters have the same prob. as the canister filters.

dogofwar

CCA Members
A box and a sponge.

I'd think that mixing a bunch of Apistos would make it that much harder to figure out what is going on.

When I was a kid I had a coupld of 150g rubbermaids set up with African cichlids...filtered with a canister and a sponge filter...

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Never for money, always for love

Layout like that with high surface area to volume ratio you could get by with just a water pump for circulation if you stay on top of water changes and especially if you have plants growing in and out of the water. Not saying you should, just that you've a lot of options for plants and could grow yourself an aquatic jungle with good lighting.

Mixing Apistos is generally a bad idea if only because most females Apistos look just like other female Apistos of different species. And swords are snarky fish that will munch anything so don't expect many Apisto fry if they're co-mingled.

Looks like a lot of fun in any case, best of luck.

I ment Amazon Sword plants. But the apistos will most likely be Panduro and cacatuoides, the females aren't that similar so hopefully no crossing