• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Setting Up A 29g Shellies Tank

I'm setting up a 29g tank and am interested in doing some various shelldwellers and a few other small species. I'm not interested in breeding, so I am wondering if I can mix a few varieties that are compatible.

All suggestions appreciated.

longstocking

Members
Bobby... even though you aren't interested in breeding... I wouldn't mix your "common" shellies. All they will do is fight for shells. You need 6 feet to be able to combine 2 types of shellies.

In a 29... knowing what's available around here.... this is what I would do.

Brevis or Multis. Then you could add a group of Paracyps (6 or so). I believe Dan has both.

You might get people that say you can mix.... but I have found that single tangs just cause problems. If you don't want to have to deal with the tank getting over populated.... you might want to try.... Comps... the sumbu duarfs.

Theresa_M

Members
Ok, my opinions on shellies from personal experience...

Multies make a nice colony. They do not like substrate and will try their hardest to get rid of it, meaning piles end up in the corners, back, or front of the tank. It's actually rather amusing and the best solution is obviously to not give them much to work with. I have maybe a half inch of crushed coral in my multi tank, the main purpose for having it is to buffer the water. Unlike other shellies that do fine with 1-2 shells per fish, multies like lots and lots of shells, I think my 10g has ~60 whale eye shells. And those will get rearranged too. I started out with 8 adults in a 10g. I've not kept similis but apparently they will establish a colony, although they're apparently more agressive than multies.

So far I've found brevis to be my most prolific and best parents. Very dedicated couple, both to each other and to the fry, at least until another batch comes along. They're a bit larger; with a 29g you could have 2-3 pairs.

My stapps are number one for looks and personality; unfortunately I've yet to get fry from them. I have 6 in a 20 long with juvenile calvus and the stapps have made it clear where the territories are. Like the brevis, you could probably have 2-3 pairs. Occies and speciosus ('black occies') are supposed to be quite agressive. If you can find them, hecqui might be a good choice if you plan to have fish other than shellies in the; it seems because of their size and personality they do well defending themselves-and fry-against other types of fish.

No, I definitely wouldn't mix shellies...even if you aren't interested in breeding there would be too many agression problems between the adults. A 29g is high, you could probably get away with a few julies along with the shellies. Calvus or comps are also said to work, that's what I have going on in my 20g but like I said all the fish in there are young so the situation may change as they grow.

Well it looks like ocellatus for the shellies and paracyps for the mid and upper levels. Still don't have them, but hopefully in a few days we'll have some photos to share. :D

Oh, so where do I get the shells? :wacko:

longstocking

Members
Escargo shells from the supermarket will work.... just make sure you clean them out real well.

Or you can pick up a pack a shells from a craft store.

The only type of shell you need to be worried about is shells that have spirals in them.... the occies can get caught in them.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Wow, never thought about that. Makes sense.
Its like at times I will loose a 2 inch Demasoni in the lift tube of
a Hydro sponge filter. It's like they go into the bubbles and get down
to the bottom of the tube and can not back up. They get wedged
in there.

I have had expriences with spiral shell losses. The best looking yellow lab juvie I ever owned went that way. So did a clown loach.

Thanks for the tips Sarah.

Btw, I have to say this.

It is such a pleasure getting help from people you know personally, rather than at a LFS or on a website talking to strangers.

Thanks again.