• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Seller of tiny bags of shrimp?

captmicha

Members
Does anyone remember who it was? Teeny, tiny breather bags with painted reds and a very dark blue shrimp?

I lost the name of the dark blues and am trying to find out. Thanks.

Btw, hope it wasn't rude that I bid so much this time.

Becca

Members
Does anyone remember who it was? Teeny, tiny breather bags with painted reds and a very dark blue shrimp?

I lost the name of the dark blues and am trying to find out. Thanks.

Btw, hope it wasn't rude that I bid so much this time.

They are blue diamond shrimp and, given what they went for, it might be the last time I bring them to auction :p. The will occasionally throw blue rilis (dark blue splotches on light blue body) or reds, which is completely normal. If you mix them in with the painted red cherries, there's no telling what you'll get.

Becca

Members
I sure do hope you convince the blue dreams to breed for you - I'd love to see those in a future auction. I was a bit sad I lost that one, but had to stay within my BAP bucks yesterday :).

And yes, Mike is right, the point of auctions is to bid. More bids = more money for the club.

JLW

CCA Members
Let me tell you something that people in the club might not like to hear. . . .
When items sell for way less than they should, when every bag is $1-2 a bag, sellers take note, and they stop bringing good stuff. They may even stop bringing stuff. There are clubs I don't even donate to because I've seen $100 bags go for $2. Of donations.

There is no such thing as bidding too much.

There is no such thing as bidding too high.

Bid high, bid frequently, and bid a good value for an item. Sure, a bag of yellow labidochromis should probably go for a $1. A bag of convicts, $1. A bag of rainbow cichlids, $1. A bag of julidichromis transcriptus bemba? No way. People will stop bringing them to the auctions if they consistently go for too little, and eventually you'll have an auction full of convicts and yellow labs.

captmicha

Members
They are blue diamond shrimp and, given what they went for, it might be the last time I bring them to auction :p. The will occasionally throw blue rilis (dark blue splotches on light blue body) or reds, which is completely normal. If you mix them in with the painted red cherries, there's no telling what you'll get.
Thanks!

Yeah, I can't blame you. These prices were unreal. I feel like I just robbed everybody. Lol.

Me too. Am going to try to get all the shrimp to breed. After I get a good line of the blue dreams going, I'm going to try to create some sky blues.

Will be hard to feed out the culls...

captmicha

Members
Glad to hear I didn't offend anyone.

Money is tight now, or I would have bid higher on some stuff.

I remember when the meetings were packed. Weird how it dropped off like it has.

Maybe we need pizza more often?

Becca

Members
I think the low attendance and lack of bids (plus generally small auction) likely had more to do with the PVAS all day having been just a week prior.

I've found, in "feeding out" my culls, that I've simply managed to cultivate shrimp populations in tanks where, by all means, they should be eaten. Sometimes it's worthwhile not to cull until you have a well developed adult shrimp. For the "painted red" shrimp, it takes a few adult molts to get nice, solid coloring, and the males usually don't come close to the females when it comes to looks.

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
So they will cross breed with the blue dreams and red cherry shrimp right?
Yes. All neocardinia can/will interbreed. Same, I believe for all cardinia. Not sure if cardinia and neocardinia can crossbreed. Don't think so.

Those more invested in the shrimp world, feel free to correct me.

Blaise

Becca

Members
Yes. All neocardinia can/will interbreed. Same, I believe for all cardinia. Not sure if cardinia and neocardinia can crossbreed. Don't think so.

Those more invested in the shrimp world, feel free to correct me.

Blaise

Not the same for all caridina. For instance, Amano shrimp are a caridina species, but won't interbreed. The "Indian Zebra Shrimp" and Malawa shrimp also don't interbreed with other caridina species, so far as I know, though msjinkzd msjinkzd would be the reigning authority on this. The "tiger" and "bee" types will interbreed.The more I play with caridina shrimp the more I get confused over the definition of "hybrid" as it seems the community will refer to shrimp as "hybrid" if they combine color-lines, even though the shrimp are the same species.... It's confusing as ______________.

dhavalsp

Members
Let me tell you something that people in the club might not like to hear. . . .
When items sell for way less than they should, when every bag is $1-2 a bag, sellers take note, and they stop bringing good stuff. They may even stop bringing stuff. There are clubs I don't even donate to because I've seen $100 bags go for $2. Of donations.

There is no such thing as bidding too much.

There is no such thing as bidding too high.

Bid high, bid frequently, and bid a good value for an item. Sure, a bag of yellow labidochromis should probably go for a $1. A bag of convicts, $1. A bag of rainbow cichlids, $1. A bag of julidichromis transcriptus bemba? No way. People will stop bringing them to the auctions if they consistently go for too little, and eventually you'll have an auction full of convicts and yellow labs.

If one walks away with an outrageous deal then just make a small donation to the club and write a little post about it (bragging thread). The seller will be happy to see that the money ended up in CCAs account one way or the other.

Regarding seller's motivation, I guess there are way too many factors that drive the price in an auction and everyone understands that...I generally see members posting in market place first and then auctioning surplus in the auction...it is more of a convenience market but few extra dollars always add to the fun and excitement...