• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Sand Maintenance

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
CCT WHAT TYPE OF FILTER? ALSO IS IT PLECO POO? CUZ THAT STUFF ANNOYS ME TOO. ALSO WHAT SIZE TANK AND WHATS THE FLOW RATE?

Sonny Disposition

The Salvini killed the cories I'd kept with them. Maybe other cichlids aren't quite so mean.

I keep earth eaters with cories, and loaches. So far, no unfortunate incidents. All the tank inhabitants keep the bottom stired up. Also, I cover the filter intakes (with a sponge filter or a powerhead cage) and keep them low to the sand. As soon as anything gets stirred up, it goes right to the filter intake.

If you vacuum with a python hose, but a bucket in the sink under the python outflow. This way, when you accidentally vacuum up the sand (don't worry, we all do), it goes into the bucket. It won't clog your drain, and when you're finished, you can just dump it back in the tank.

Glad you like the pool filter sand. Two to three inches sounds about right. If you don't have Malawis or Tanganyikans, throw some blackworms on the sand bed. They'll burrow into it, and keep it clean. Same with Maylasian spiral snails--only they overpopulate, and there's no getting rid of them.

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
Salvini are some of the meanest fish I have ever kept. I have a bunch of juvies now and not sure what I will do with them other than let them kill each other. I suspect most of the Central American nasties get along with Corys as poorly as the Africans do. If one must, big sucker mouths seem to work but not Corys.

By eartheaters I assume you mean Geophagus of some sort. I have a couple of kinds of them and find they love to eat snails. I have the spiral livebearers that you call Maylasian. I have also seen them called Phillipine. No biggie. My Geos eat them. Actually thay eat all kinds of snails. I use a stainless steel screw on a string to put a slice of Zuchinni (however you spell it) in the tank with the uncontrollable snails. They flock to it and when they are all over it, I pull it out and feed them to the Geos. Very good food.

George