• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Sa Wigglers

marge618

CCA member
I have a pair of Mesonuata Insignis (Flag Cichlids, Festivum) that just seemed to sit around at the top of the tank. Recently I added a toy to the setup - one of those plastic floating logs with holes for hiding. Immediately the pair started hovering around it. They spent most of their time sort of hiding against the log. 10 days later there were eggs on a piece of driftwood. Next the pair moved the eggs to the top of the sponge filter. For a few days they have been on guard at the filter.

Now the eggs have tiny black eyes and tails that look like black wiry thread. The fry don't really move, they just sit there on top of the filter sponge. There are over 50 of them.

If you have ever successfully bred these fish would you give me some pointers on what to do next.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Are they alone?

If that's the case, I'd allow them to raise their babies. I have a young pair that's bred several times in a community setting. They're better parents than a lot of angelfish (to whom they're related), probably because they're fewer generations from wild. They don't have the guts/skill to defend to the level of a convict, but they try.

The babies that I've gotten were eating powdered flake, baby brine (frozen), and sponge filter gunk prior to being consumed by the community tank...

My pair breed on top of a flowerpot, although they hang out in a (floating) plastic plant at the surface. They'd probably like it better if I gave them a taller pot or breeding spot nearer to the surface.

Good luck and take pictures. I have a warm spot in my heart for "festivums" :)

marge618

CCA member
The festivum babies are eating powdered NLS and sponge filter gunk. They travel together in a herd from one end of the tank to the other with mom and pop standing guard. There are so many of them they look like a tiny cloud of snow. I plan to leave the fry in the tank and let the parents raise them.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Well done!

Glad to hear you've got some good parents. I never get tired of seeing dilligent cichlid parents.

My pair bred the night before last. The eggs were gone this AM, so I'm not sure whether the pair ate them or whether others in the tank did.

How "involved" in guarding the eggs / babies is the Dad? Mine leaves most of the work to the (smaller) female...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (marge618 @ Nov 10 2008, 07:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The festivum babies are eating powdered NLS and sponge filter gunk. They travel together in a herd from one end of the tank to the other with mom and pop standing guard. There are so many of them they look like a tiny cloud of snow. I plan to leave the fry in the tank and let the parents raise them.[/b]

marge618

CCA member
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dogofwar @ Nov 10 2008, 09:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Well done!

Glad to hear you've got some good parents. I never get tired of seeing dilligent cichlid parents.

My pair bred the night before last. The eggs were gone this AM, so I'm not sure whether the pair ate them or whether others in the tank did.

How "involved" in guarding the eggs / babies is the Dad? Mine leaves most of the work to the (smaller) female...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (marge618 @ Nov 10 2008, 07:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The festivum babies are eating powdered NLS and sponge filter gunk. They travel together in a herd from one end of the tank to the other with mom and pop standing guard. There are so many of them they look like a tiny cloud of snow. I plan to leave the fry in the tank and let the parents raise them.[/b]
[/b][/quote]

When the eggs disappeared from the log at the bottom of the tank they were 'missing' over a day. They reappeared high on top of the sponge filter. As I didn't know what to do next I left them their in hopes that the parent fish knew more than I.