• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Rick's Pets in Frederick

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Thanks to the "bad" weather and some anxious folks who closed Fort Detrick (the job I am working on is on post), I had a chance to do a little shopping at Rick's in Frederick. They actually had a really good selection of juvies this visit and most things looked pretty healthy. For any who are interested, here's what they had that was out of the ordinary that I can remember:

festae babies @ .75" +/-
inca stone fish juvies
rotkeil severum juvies
red-line severum juvies (I assume notatus, but too hard to tell at that size)
polleni -2 sizes, but the little ones were pretty beat up
"wild" blue rams - I didn't ask where they were from
alleged pair of alta pikes - I have not idea how to sex them
breeding pair of green severums
a gorgeous female gold severum at 7" that would be in my tank if she wasn't $90
rainbow cichlid young adults

I thought I'd let you know about the cool stuff as I know a lot of you don't make it up this way often.

Jon

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
John - there's no such thing as snow days (or secondary federal holidays) in construction! What the heck?

I stopped by there last weekend. Great shop and selection. Rick is super cool.

If you haven't ever been there, it's totally worth checking out if you're in the area.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Tony - I know there shouldn't be snow days in construction, but when the MP's at the gate won't let you go to work, fish shopping is next on the list.

Holly - I'm interested. We'll have to figure out some time we can meet up. I'm hoping for a pair, so if you have any extra females that would be cool.

Francine - They are $60 for the pair. I was intrigued so I Googled Altas when I got home and I'm not sure that is an accurate ID. These were about 6-7" and had small red spots on the head and face. You may be able to ID them for what they actually are.

Lively - Still has lots of plants, but I didn't spend much time looking at them. The store has its ups and downs as far as how the fish look. Every thing was looking pretty good today. Only things that were pretty rough were the baby CA's like GT's and JD's that are in a 10 gallon tank and just beating on each other.

Definitely one of the stores I frequent, although service can be hit or miss. Andrew is the manager and he knows his stuff, but some others are just there for the paycheck.

Lively

Members
Rick's is where I saw my first Electric Blue in real life... that was a hard day - walking away without buying one, or three lol

jonclark96

Past CCA President
They have some in stock now. Some really small ones for $25 and one that is around 5" for $60, I think.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I think $60 is how much it. I guess that is a pretty good price for one that is past the fragile stage.

Lively

Members
I had to call... 5" at $60 would be a great deal. She said it's about 3" lol Still, not a bad price at all. Must admit I'm tempted on hauling my tail over there...

Lively

Members
ROFL, to err is human! I'm glad you were off - if I ever decide to sell mine I was counting on a bit more than that for 6"... :)

creepyoldguy

Members
I would give them a 4 out of 10. THat 4 comes from some of the rare fish I can't find elsewhere. Generally they are overpriced and take in drop offs for free and charge an arm and a leg for them.