• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Replacing Center Brace on a 55G

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Thanks to a generous fellow CCA'er, I am the new owner of a used 55G. At some point in it's past it appears that the center brace was broken and removed. I filled it to find out if it held water and the good news is that it does. The bad news is that it bows about 3/4" in the center when full. The tank will likely end up on the 2nd floor, so I am not willing to set up the tank without some sort of center brace. I know replacing the entire top frame is an option, but wanted to check with the folks on the forum to see if anyone has any other successful repair techniques that I may be able to use.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Jon

jonclark96

Past CCA President
thanks for the link. looks like a trip to home depot in the future. hopefully there is enough plastic left to get the bolts in.

toddnbecka

Members
I used acrylic hex rod and 2-part epoxy to repair my 55 after the 2nd top frame center brace gave out. If you want a piece of the hex rod I need the exact inside measurement to cut it to fit.

mab

Members
Easy enough to replace top frame - last one I purchased was less than $5. Took about ten minutes to cut off the old frame. Spot glued the new frame on and it was good to go.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I think that they have frames at House of Tropicals, unless someone on here has a spare one...

Matt

danger_chicken

Swim Fishy Swim!

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I may have found a used frame so that will be the first option. If that doesn't work out I'll give the epoxy & brace a try. I'll let you know how it all works out.