• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Relatively New to African Cichlids

So i've aquired a few african Cichlids, including some Benga Sunshine Peacocks (5), Yellow Belly Alberts (4), Pseudotrophis Demasoni (12), and Kribensis (4).

What are the chances all these species will play nice together in a 55 gallon tank with plenty of driftwood and rocks to hide in? Or who in particular would be the trouble makers i want to keep away?

I've also got 5 jack dempseys, which i know aren't african, but seem large enough to hold there own. Can they hang with these african tank mates?

Thanks!

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Probably not. Jacks will get torn up with Africans. Ask me how I know... and the Demasoni will likely try to kill just about everything else if you have males and females.

xny89

Administrator
Staff member
I think the krebensis are acidic water fish, while the other Africans prefer more alkaline water. I also think the Dempseys will tear the others up, but defer to people with more experience than I.

As someone who has had African cichlids for the past 12 years, I can confidently say that your Demonsonis will tear up all of your other fish. Also, what is the male to female ratio of benga sunshine, they can be a little aggressive if all male but I would be worried about the Demonsoni slaughtering them and the jacks. If the jacks are large like 3-4 inches larger than the demonsoni, they may be ok. Overall though, this is not a good idea.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
The Jacks will still die. They are punks. The Africans will kill them, even if they are 6 inches or bigger. Africans are just more agressive and dominant. Trust me. Don't go there.

rpitonyak

Members
In my experience yellow labs will be fine as long as you give them some structure to hide in. They are one of the most docile Africans available. The Venustus is dependent on personality. Just like humans, fish have unique personalities. Personality can depend on a variety of factors such as stocking, temperature, decorations, etc. I currently have a 6-7" Venustus in an all male peacock/hap tank and he is very calm and minds his own business. I had to get rid of my last Venustus because he started attacking the other fish. Any fish can be aggressive, especially with Africans. The best approach is to get one and try it out. If he works......great, if not.....there are plenty of people looking to buy one. Feel free to PM me with any questions. I currently have (2) 150's with peacocks and haps, a fish room with peacocks, and a 55 with Mbuna. I do not know everything, but know enough to guide you in the right direction.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
In my experience yellow labs will be fine as long as you give them some structure to hide in. They are one of the most docile Africans available. The Venustus is dependent on personality. Just like humans, fish have unique personalities. Personality can depend on a variety of factors such as stocking, temperature, decorations, etc. I currently have a 6-7" Venustus in an all male peacock/hap tank and he is very calm and minds his own business. I had to get rid of my last Venustus because he started attacking the other fish. Any fish can be aggressive, especially with Africans. The best approach is to get one and try it out. If he works......great, if not.....there are plenty of people looking to buy one. Feel free to PM me with any questions. I currently have (2) 150's with peacocks and haps, a fish room with peacocks, and a 55 with Mbuna. I do not know everything, but know enough to guide you in the right direction.

That's interesting on the Labs. My male yellow lab was a straight up serial killer. I would say, as with most fish, it depends on personality. I'm not exaggerating his aggressiveness either. He wanted everyone dead except for the females in the tank, and he harassed them until they bred with him. I gave them multiple hiding spots, tried using large rocks and driftwood to break up the tank, nothing helped. Just be very careful and observe them for several days.
Even if all seems well he first day, that doesn't mean it will be good tomorrow.

Becca

Members
Kribs are a soft/acidic water fish. They're adaptable, but won't do well in the conditions preferred by your other fish. Even if they survive the water conditions, they might not survive harrassment from other fish.