• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Red Tail Tinfoil Barbs with CA/SA

blkmjk

Members
I have been contemplating purchasing red tail tinfoil barbs for two weeks or so. I bit the bullet and made the purchase today. By the pics on the internet they look cool and grow like regular tinfoils. I guess my question is has anybody kept these with large CA or SA cichlids like the kind I keep (big scary ones) long term?

Thanks

Drew

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
they work well with the big cichlids, they might get a little beat up but for the most part they get along fine.

blkmjk

Members
Epic fail on my part. Lost one over the evening. Moved them out if the 60 gallon into a 40b with grow outs.

Drew

dogofwar

CCA Members
Drew - I've had good luck with tinfoil barbs as dithers with big New Worlds. Key is getting some that are big enough.

They get big - like 15-16"...probably bigger - but are fast, colorful and can take a beating and keep swimming.

Bala sharks on the other hand, not so much!

Matt

blkmjk

Members
I have been really wanting flag tails but just can't swing the money part. And they get monstrous.

Drew

dogofwar

CCA Members
I'd stay away from flag tail prochilodus as dithers. Expensive, beat on each other and get 18" or so. Good to eat, though, I hear!

Some good sized tinfoils are what you need :)

Matt

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
a wile back rapps had some monster flag tails, wc too. Tinfoils are better dithers by far, cheap, hardy, and can swim fast.

blkmjk

Members
Well I lost three more to the RTM grow out tank...... and the tinfoils were bigger than everything in the tank. I can't win... the only dithers that work for me are more angry cichlids. I watched the tank and I never witnessed the aggression myself. I love the way the two surviving fish look. Might try more but at 7$ a piece?

Drew

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Drew:

Jason makes a good point. Where did you get the tinfoil barbs from to start? Also, I've had decent luck with using rainbowfish and giant danios as dithers with grow outs. They wouldn't last long with larger fish, but both are quick swimmers, relatively tough, and low cost from most stores.

Forester

Members
Giant danios are great for dithers. But they will get eaten with bigger fish. My 12 inch bichir ate one of mine.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

blkmjk

Members
You sure its aggression issues over just poor quality stock? Where did you get them?

No I'm not 100% sure. I got the tin foils from Centerville Aquariums. And I watched the fish for 2 weeks there. While I would never buy a sickly fish he does treat sickly fish there quite commonly. I don't think it is a water quality problem in his stuff but more likely trade in fish coming from poorly kept conditions.

Drew:

Jason makes a good point. Where did you get the tinfoil barbs from to start? Also, I've had decent luck with using rainbowfish and giant danios as dithers with grow outs. They wouldn't last long with larger fish, but both are quick swimmers, relatively tough, and low cost from most stores.

The rainbow fish I have seen are kinda expensive? Bosemani? I think that is the name? Or are you referring to something else?

Giant danios are great for dithers. But they will get eaten with bigger fish. My 12 inch bichir ate one of mine.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I have tried these as well as Colombian tetras. They either jump out of the tank to escape the predation or become 3$ snacks.

Drew

jonclark96

Past CCA President
While there are some really expensive rainbow fish available, I've always gone with the "ornamental" variety. I don't know much about them, but I suspect they are some sort of easily bred hybrid. I've seen them for sale at the box stores, but picked mine up from HOT and Rick's in Frederick in the past. Usually only a couple of bucks a piece. They max out at about 4" and actually have some decent colors on them.