• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Red hair algae

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Anyone know what can lead to red hair algae in a freshwater aquarium? I know its a common problem in reef tanks, but doesn't generally seem to be an issue in freshwater tanks. Its a 90g with driftwood and PFS, mostly eartheaters in the tank. The fish have been acting really skittish lately and algae is growing on rocks, wood, plants, and glass. Fish eat and seem healthy, but I know algae is generally a sign of excess nutrients or some other issue. Weekly 40% water changes, Safe for dechlor, no other additives.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Probably 8-10 hours a day, but I just reduced that on the timer once I noticed the algae. Tank has been going for about a year, algae in the past, but generally green and never got out of control. Very little sunlight, indirect if any.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Silly rabbit

Anyone know what can lead to red hair algae in a freshwater aquarium?

Top 10 reasons"

10) Location of a psychic vortex over your tank;
9) Kinky and proximate procreative activity;
8) Geophagus' crippling addiction to bacon;
7) Lapsed subscriptions to Vogue or Redbook;
6) Loud punk/grundge/hip-hop "music";
5) Employing a goth housekeeper/babysitter;
4) Vindictive spouse/children;
3) Use of "air-fresheners" and/or crap incense;
2) Incipient narcissism;
...but the #1 reason:
Failure to change the litter box.

Seriousness aside, the only real variables are what goes into the tank in terms of nutrients and light (and possibly scaping material). I had hair algae in a number of tanks at one point and after cutting down on (or changing spectrum of) light and boosting water changes it has all but disappeared. Assuming that your filtration is adequate, I'd be inclined to scour the tank and hardscape to the greatest extent possible (I just throw hardscape in a bucket of scalding water and then take a brush to it), rinse all filter material, do a 80% or so water change and cut back or adjust the lighting. If you're on city water (as opposed to well) nutrient loading should be stable/acceptable. Other live plants might help to out-compete the algae for nutrients as well, and floating plants in particular are additionally very good at limiting light penetration into the water column and have a remarkably gentling effect on most fish. I have tons of water lettuce (large, durable and prolific) and water sprite I will give you if you like....

Luck.

chriscoli

Administrator
Arlene to the rescue!

I also have a tank that's just recently been taken over by red algae and I've been scratching my head trying to figure out what's different now vs. in the past. This article gave me some ideas.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
It would appear that you are low on carbon source and some other key nutrients for healthy plant growth and that the algae is taking advantage of this.

Here's a good article to help you out:
http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Algae/red-algae.html

Hope this helps!
Arlene

Thanks Arlene! Don't have a lot of time to check out the article now, but would Excel help to balance a carbon source? I'll check out the article later when I'm not swamped at work.

9) Kinky and proximate procreative activity;
8) Geophagus' crippling addiction to bacon;

Seriousness aside, the only real variables are what goes into the tank in terms of nutrients and light (and possibly scaping material). I had hair algae in a number of tanks at one point and after cutting down on (or changing spectrum of) light and boosting water changes it has all but disappeared. Assuming that your filtration is adequate, I'd be inclined to scour the tank and hardscape to the greatest extent possible (I just throw hardscape in a bucket of scalding water and then take a brush to it), rinse all filter material, do a 80% or so water change and cut back or adjust the lighting. If you're on city water (as opposed to well) nutrient loading should be stable/acceptable. Other live plants might help to out-compete the algae for nutrients as well, and floating plants in particular are additionally very good at limiting light penetration into the water column and have a remarkably gentling effect on most fish. I have tons of water lettuce (large, durable and prolific) and water sprite I will give you if you like....

Luck.

Must be one of those two. Thanks though, any advice is appreciated. Scaping material hasn't changed, so I don't think its the culprit. Filtered by 2 AC110's, so I think that should be ok, though they might be due for a cleaning. Lights are 110 watts of 6700k CF bulbs, so possibly stronger than I need, but I cut back the length of cycle, and its a 90 gallon lightly planted tank, so the depth and volume need something fairly strong. Mostly anubias for plants as the tank is filled with eartheaters and cories, and nothing rooted will stay. Not a fan of water sprite, but some water lettuce may be a good idea, just don't want to block all light to the anubias. I'll do a filter cleaning, wait a few days, do a large WC, maybe add some excel, and see how things progress.

Thanks guys!

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I had reason #7 being Mike's problem. :D

Do you have any BNs in the tank? I thought they would take care of it? What about some nerites?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Yeah, I wasn't going to admit that, but you got me.

No bristlenose, its a SA tank, so I have a flash-type and contradens-type pleco in there, but those guys don't touch the glass, and mostly stay on the driftwood. No snails either, try to keep that tank clean looking, but it might be a possibility.

Mike,

How old are you're light bulbs? Typically we change out our bulbs one every 6 to 12 months. I tend to find that older bulbs give me algae problems.

Yes, adding Excel to your tank and a DIY CO2 rig help out a lot. You can spot treat the algae with Excel or hydrogen peroxide by simply turning off your filter, adding the Excel/H2O2 with a syringe or pipette, letting it sit of about 5 to 10 minutes, and then turning on your filter again.

Arlene

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
The bulbs are probably a year old or more, so its probably worth trying that too. I don't plan on going the DIY CO2 route, so I'll try the bulbs and or hydro peroxide route after Excel and a WC.

Thanks for the tips! Algae and/or planted tanks aren't my forte, so its great to get advice from others with more practical experience there.

Hannibal

Members
Mike,

How old are you're light bulbs? Typically we change out our bulbs one every 6 to 12 months. I tend to find that older bulbs give me algae problems.

Arlene

Thank you for that information!!

I am going to have to give that a whirl as the only tank I have a problem with algae is my 55.