• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Recovering powdered flake food with Repashy

xny89

Administrator
Staff member
This topic started in a different, unrelated thread, so I'll start it anew here. The issue is how to make use of the ground down flake food without starting a "snowstorm" in the tank. One member suggested Repashy aquatic gel premix. I investigated it briefly and found that it (powder) comes in a variety of, um, flavors (?) for reptiles and fish, with those for fish also in a variety of "flavors" dependent upon the type fish. Given that I have one tank with mostly Malawi Mbuna, and another with mostly new worlds (angels, rainbow cichlids), I would need to select, as a base for adding the tiny flakes left from my bags of flake food, that would be useful for both tanks (of course, I could buy two different formulae, but I want to make this simple). Looks to me that the "super green" formula would be the best base for the flakes.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Soilent Green is apparently the most popular Repashy food. Stephan Tanner told me that Fruut-Luups seems to be the one most likely to be eaten quickly. I've been using Fruut-Luups since Sunday, and so far all my fish seem to like it.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I've used several formulas and it's great, especially for growing out large numbers of fry and for when one is away and can't feed the fish!

I'd use Repashy more except that making it results in an odor which reminds my fish that we have 50 fish tanks in our garage.

Matt

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Repashy is pretty good stuff. I've used the meat pie, solient green, and the tropical fish blend (I can't remember the exact name). Matt is correct, it is pretty smelly when you mix it up. I usually preheat the water, then go outside to mix.

I haven't seen too many fish that don't like it, although I had mixed results with larger fish, as they tended to tear the chunks apart and make a big mess in the tank.

Becca

Members
You could always mix it in some unflavored jello, if you wanted.

I mix the different varieties of Repashy pretty often, playing with ratios depending on what I'm feeding. Some fish go nuts for it, some are just like, eh, food.

xny89

Administrator
Staff member
Ordered some super green yesterday. Once I get it, I'll let everyone knows how it works out. Will also try unflavored gelatin at some point too. Thanks for your experiences.
I have way too much to just write off as fry food, and I don't know that people would want to "buy" other peoples tiny food particles. Would you?