• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Recommendations For Timer/Power Strip

Vinh2o

Members
I have a rack with 6 tanks on it that I would like to have all the lights put on a timer. Can some recommend a power strip with a built in timer? I am looking for a power strip with timer that is easy to use. Also is there one that still works after a power outage where you do not have to reprogram it all over again? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

mchambers

Former CCA member
There are some standard 8 outlet (4 timed, 4 untimed) timer power strips at Home Depot and other hardware stores. They have a small watch battery to keep the programming.

chriscoli

Administrator
I've gotten away from digital timers in favor of the timers that have physical tabs that you have to set. I've had several digital timers eat through their batteries every few months and I hate reprogramming them.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

JLW

CCA Members
I agree with Chris on the ones with tabs. They're also nice because most of them have a simple "roller" on the top that lets you turn the lights on or off manually, and immediately resume normal programming. The electronic ones, you have to press a button a bunch of times, then remember to press it again to get it back into "timer" mode.....

If you lose power, they keep all their programming, but lose the time (they just stop turning). So, if you lose power at 1243, when power comes back, the timer will think its 1243 still. You just have to turn the dial to get it back to the correct time. Not a biggy.

The motors for the electromechanical timers are more prone to failure than the digitals. I have gone through far more of those than the digitals.

Recently I switched my fish room to two of these power strips.
https://smile.amazon.com/50051-Indo...d=1468246167&sr=8-3&keywords=wifi+power+strip

They are wifi enabled and the timer is actually in the cloud. I can control them both through the same app on my phone. Allows me to turn them on or off anywhere in the world and has multiple program functions. I really like them.

Andy