• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Really Stupid Question.

longstocking

Members
ok ... I don't want to search around for the answer and I'm sure someone here knows.

Ok so I kept that one discus alive from the auction. I didn't kill it ! woooo hooo !

ok so... we were walking around in a store and Bill decided he wanted another one. I said... ok but he/she might get killed just warning you.

So he picked up a different type than a cobalt ( another blue one but it has a red snake skin look ) as I have no intentions of breeding the darn things. Well I guess I happen to be the luckiest person alive as they are definently a pair ( or maybe discus are just the easiest fihs alive to breed lol ). So now my question. If they were to produce fry.... would they be anything? Or do I need to kill them? I know discus are pretty much hybrid/line bred fish... so I'm lost on this one. Feeders?

mscichlid

Founder
Discus are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get. The first step is to get them to not to eat the eggs, or the fry. Raise the fry up to see what they look like in regard to shape and color, etc. Arrowheads suck.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I agree with Francine

Grow them out.

See what they look like and sell them. There are all kinds of crosses out there and people pay money for all of them. Its not like you are crossing a discus with an angel or something.
Let them have fun....

longstocking

Members
LMAO.... yeah right. I'll leave that to Hans.

I picked out the best one in terms of shape he just picked the type. I kind of know what to look for in discus. I think this one is actually from Hans.... as I know this store carries his fish.

mscichlid

Founder
If Hansy doesn't chime in, look forward to Dick Au's talk. I definantly think his talk will give everyone the basics. Au's experience on show discus also informs on how to recognize a specimen that has excellent qualities for breeding and excellent show potential.

However, if you or anyone else really wants to put forth an effort to delve into discus headlong, I suggest that you frequent forums that specialize in discus like Simply Discus and DAAH. There is another one that has branched off (I'll have to do a little research to find the link to it). I'll provide all that I am aware of because it seems that no one these days wants to invest in obtaining published literature. Most folks rely heavily on forums that they frequent which in most cases a lot of the traffic doesn't know their ass from a hole in the ground. Buy a good book, too. Some outdated have valuable reference material.

I usually refrain from sending our members to other forums, but in the case of making sure that members get information on specific species and provide superior care for a species outside of their or a CCA member's expertise, I like to point out sites that focus on a particular species to make sure that the fish in their care gets the best possible. I believe the eventual outcome would benefit our current membership and potential members alike.

longstocking

Members
I'm not going to worry about it untill I see eggs. If I ever do :lol: It was more of a curious and "oh no" type of thing.

I don't even know at what size they can breed :lol: I just know they are a pair from watching Julies discus. And... a friend came over and said wow looks like you have a pair :lol: The day after the smaller one was put in the tank.

mscichlid

Founder
Perhaps you could do some research before they lay eggs.

Cichlid bonding doesn't always suggest pairs. Lone schooling-type fish will bond with it's own species whenever they get the chance. It has been know that lone fish will begin to take out their aggression on the new arrival eventually. Discus (like other schooling fish; corydoras, tetras, and barbs, etc.) should be kept in groups of 5 or more anyway unless you are raising mature individuals for show purposes.

longstocking

Members
For the first day they squabbled a little. Now they swim less than inch a part from each other 95% of the time. Never nibble at each other and this past week intensified in color. If they aren't a pair I would be VERY surpised.

The guy I picked up is a Blue Turq.

Don't worry I will do research on it... but I'm not worried about it yet.

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
When you posted that you had a pair I assumed you had eggs. Now it is clear you do not. It is not uncommon for two females to buddy-up and lay eggs. You should also know that Discus are quite social. It might be that you have a pair but don't set yourself up for dissapointment. The only other thing to note is that getting Discus to pair up and lay eggs is as easy as you earlier alluded to, hatching fry and raising the fry is usually the challenging part.

We are all pulling for you and your pair. Good luck. They should be interesting offspring if you bring it off.

George

DeeCee

Members
Congrats on the Second discus, Sarah! (and whattzizname) :p

Just watch, that discus-bug will getcha yet!
I think there's enough people here that have kept and bred discus successfully to answer
questions that you may have. My old buddy Double-O Geoorge for one.
He's right - you might have 2 females. With discus, put two of them in a tank and often they'll fall in
love. Put a third one of an opposite sex in there and all hell breaks loose! LOL

And yeah, breeding them is normally pretty easy, in the water out here.
It's raising the fry that gets challenging. Not impossible by any means, but
definitely trying, at least until the fish get used to the idea of having a family.
I've always said that there's a definite learning curve to discus. Keeping them alive is the first part of that, and you've
done fine with that! Congrats!

DC

longstocking

Members
Unless it's different with Discus... which it very well could be. You can have a pair that hasn't spawned. I have had many fish that were pairs but I have a hard time triggering spawning. I never said a "breeding pair".

The male is now shaking at the other one. I know with other fish females can do this... is this the case with discus? AT this point I think they are still to young anyways.

maddog10

Members
The male is shaking because she is an ugly hag and it creeps him out to look at her (wait, that was me when I used to drink!). Not trying to kill each other is always an encouraging sign. Hey, my new doctor is in Crain Towers, I almost stopped by Wednesday but it took all I had just to walk back to the truck when I left his office.

mscichlid

Founder
Mike is on meds for extreme pain. Please excuse his outburst. Check the tubes of the fish when they are presented. That is the absolute determination. Look at it the way. If the tubes look alike, they are of the same sex.

animicrazy

Members
Don't let Francine know I'm posting - couldn't resist after checking a PM - Amanda and I have a little experience with discus breeding:

1) it is as fun as frustrating

2) everything anyone says is both right and wrong

3) figure out "what works for you" - it"s the only real way to learn; after all Sarah, they're only fish!!! (with an attitude problem)

Good Luck!!!!

The Mad Scientist (not angry)

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (longstocking @ Mar 20 2008, 12:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
ok ... I don't want to search around for the answer and I'm sure someone here knows.

Ok so I kept that one discus alive from the auction. I didn't kill it ! woooo hooo !

ok so... we were walking around in a store and Bill decided he wanted another one. I said... ok but he/she might get killed just warning you.

So he picked up a different type than a cobalt ( another blue one but it has a red snake skin look ) as I have no intentions of breeding the darn things. Well I guess I happen to be the luckiest person alive as they are definently a pair ( or maybe discus are just the easiest fihs alive to breed lol ). So now my question. If they were to produce fry.... would they be anything? Or do I need to kill them? I know discus are pretty much hybrid/line bred fish... so I'm lost on this one. Feeders?[/b]

Two more things Sarah - especially with Discus, there are no stupid questions. I have never had more unpredictable fish than Discus. That's one reason you need all the input you can get with them.

Second - if your fish are both blues of any sort, the fry should be very interesting and quite likely desirable in a financial sense.

George

longstocking

Members
I hope you get well soon Mike !

Great doctors up here. As you know Bill and I were in the hospital last year quite a bit lol .... all good experiences. Other than the being sick and having surgery part !

Thanks everyone. Donna is coming over on Sunday she can tell me what she thinks :)