• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Ready for Shellies?

MonteSS

Members
Got the 48 whale's eye shells today. Tank is 24" 26g bow with my first home made backround. There are caves in the back. Do you think I need sight breaks?

Hopefully will get some Multis soon.

....Bill

P1010001-1.jpg

dogofwar

CCA Members
Sweet - looks like a multi paradise...

Don't underestimate the ferocity of the little guys, though. The tetras might be bullied...

Matt

MonteSS

Members
backround007-1.jpg

2" foam. Used a razor knife to chip away at it. Actually was pretty easy but messy. Paint with basement waterproofing sealer and good to go.

...Bill

chriscoli

Administrator
Fantastic background! I'm definitely going to have to try something like this soon!

I don't use sight breaks with my multis. They are generally very tolerant of other multis, but not so much of other fish in their space. Note, I said generally....occasionally I find one (usually a young male) that's been pushed to the outskirts of the colony. I frequently use sight breaks with my other shellies, though.

Do you have a source for multis? If not, I've got a colony of adults that are available for sale or trade.

MonteSS

Members
Yes drylock from Lowes. They will add color for you too. I used a grey and a dark grey for highlights.

...Bill

Last edited:

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Looks awesome, Bill.

Should be able to ship those guys out to you early next week. :)

PM me your address.

MonteSS

Members
I got a nice group of Multies from Tony today.

All look good and are exploring. The one bigger male is already giving the Neons a hard time, but they are used to that LOL

I will keep you posted once they settle in.

....Bill

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Good to hear they're doing well. Compared to the 10 gallon I had them in, your tank is a palace!

MonteSS

Members
I havnt really seen them in the shells yet. Will they use them mainly for breading or do they hang in them too?

Will they appreciate veggie flake too?

And is there too much current in the tank? Only filter is an AC70

Thanks...Bill

[YT]4zUIuD8WQmY[/YT]

golsama

Corresponding Secretary
I havnt really seen them in the shells yet. Will they use them mainly for breading or do they hang in them too?
My multis tend to hang out a lot above their shells. They tend to use them for protection when they get spooked and for breeding, at least IME.

In the wild multis primarily feed on zooplankton, so a meaty diet is best. Mine absolutely go insane for daphnia, brine shrimp (live or frozen) and frozen blood worms. They also really enjoy the Meat Pie Repashy food and flake food. They may eat the veggie flake, but it isn't really the best option for a staple diet.

If they are having trouble swimming and/or are being "blown" around a lot, then there is probably too much of a current for them. I sometimes use extra filter foam in the outflow to decrease the current when it is too much in some of my tanks. I've never had a problem doing this as long as I haven't completely blocked the outflow then the filter will flood. If you'd like I can try and post a picture to show you what I mean when I get home later.

Enjoy your multis, they were my first cichlid and still one of my favorites. Soon enough they will start taking over the tank with their offspring.

fishman13

Members

Thanks...Bill

[YT]4zUIuD8WQmY[/YT]

Whats with the tetras?