• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Re-introducing a jewel

hotwingz

Members
Ok so i have two jewels amungst my 11 other cichlids, and one jewel beat the other one up pretty good. The one turned real dark was like a black and red almost idk if thays important right now. My question is, is it ok to put just that fish in the tank or should i put it in along with a couple new fish. And whats the likely hood of this happening again. I have the now healed fish in a hospital but it needs to be back in a larger tank soon! So ive never been in this situation whats the best course of action. Please and thank you!

Sent from my PG86100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jonclark96

Past CCA President
If you are going to try to reintroduce the fish, I would first redecorate the tank they are in. Try to break up the established territories. Even better would be to redecorate, remove the bully fish, put the healed fish in the tank for a few days, then reintroduce the bully fish.

In any case, when you reintroduce the healed fish, stay close and be prepared to remove it immediately if there is violence.

verbal

CCA Members
If you are going to try to reintroduce the fish, I would first redecorate the tank they are in. Try to break up the established territories. Even better would be to redecorate, remove the bully fish, put the healed fish in the tank for a few days, then reintroduce the bully fish.

In any case, when you reintroduce the healed fish, stay close and be prepared to remove it immediately if there is violence.

I agree with this approach. I think you need to watch both with the first introduction and secondly with the re-introduction of the other jewel.

hotwingz

Members
Ok well ive only got a couple pieces of driftwood and a couple plants non of the fish stay in one part more then another they actually school up pretty well which is odd because i only have one pair of the same kind of fish which is the jewels. So non seem to have established territories, plus my girlfriend would kill me if i moved to tank around! Ha. And does the addition of other fish help at all.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
If it is conspecific aggression, adding other fish of different type will make little difference. If it is just aggression, adding other "targets" will usually help to a degree.

hotwingz

Members
Ya hes never beat up on anyone else and never seemed interested in killing it. Just keeping it in place. But other than that no agression issues. He hasnt hurt any other fish, and no other fish are having problems. No nipped fins! Like i said they all seem to be happy with one another. So im just guna try what you said and swap the two for a couple days and watch to see what happens. If the bully fish beats the other one up again ill have to get rid of one.

minifoot77

Members
its most likely two males and the conspecific aggression will make you get rid of one i wouldn't try to put it back in

Posted via mobile.capitalcichlids.org