• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Rainbow Cichlid Pair

rich_one

Members
Anyone have any rainbow cichlids? Either a pair or a group of juvies I can grow out to form a pair?

-Rich

I have some tiny fry about a month old that I stole from the parents and am raising separately. It'll be a while before they're ready to go to new homes, though. The original pair is guarding wrigglers again. I'll snag some of those in a week or so, too.

So, bottom line -- I'll have some but not soon . ..

rich_one

Members
I have some tiny fry about a month old that I stole from the parents and am raising separately. It'll be a while before they're ready to go to new homes, though. The original pair is guarding wrigglers again. I'll snag some of those in a week or so, too.

So, bottom line -- I'll have some but not soon . ..
Thanks, Holly. Keep me posted as to when they are ready, if you don't mind, and I will take some if I don't find anything before then. Much appreciated!

-Rich

If by reverse trio you mean 2M-1F, I'd suggest you pick the prettiest boy and hand off the leftover. Rainbows are pairing fish and the boys will fight . . .

rich_one

Members
If by reverse trio you mean 2M-1F, I'd suggest you pick the prettiest boy and hand off the leftover. Rainbows are pairing fish and the boys will fight . . .
Will do. The guy giving them to me did say that so far, he's gotten one spawn from them, but one of the boys has taken to beating on the female a bit, though, she's not badly injured or anything. I thought it was odd, but hey... free is free, right? He sent me pics and a video, and they certainly look awesome and healthy!

We are arranging for pickup sometime after Thanksgiving. Just easier, due to everything everyone has going on.

Once I get the trio, and figure who stays and who goes, I'll rehome the evicted male.

-Rich

yeah, the boys will occasionally beat up the girl a bit if she refuses to get with the whole mating program. You might figure out who is doing the beat down and remove him, even if he's prettier. The girl might not like him and thus her refusal. Pairs that form on their own always do better IME than ones we "force" together.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
"Pairs that form on their own always do better IME than ones we "force" together".
-Holly

And yet arranged marriages amongst humans seem to last longer than "pairs that form on their own". :lol:

rich_one

Members
yeah, the boys will occasionally beat up the girl a bit if she refuses to get with the whole mating program. You might figure out who is doing the beat down and remove him, even if he's prettier. The girl might not like him and thus her refusal. Pairs that form on their own always do better IME than ones we "force" together.
Yeah. I will certainly take your advice on that.

Of course, the game is changing a bit now. I have 3 total offers on the table, including this offer, which are the trio for free. There is no way to ever beat free.

UNLESS... a trusted CCA member and friend is offering me a proven pair. Hard to say no to that, especially when I have received fish from him before!

Too bad there is not a December meeting. I think I'd take the CCA member's pair, then take the free pair and donate them to the auction.

-Rich

And yet arranged marriages amongst humans seem to last longer than "pairs that form on their own".

yeah, Andrew, but only because the women in those countries have no right to leave the SOBs they're forced to live with . . . sorta like the rainbow girls, now that I think about it! :eek: