• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Quick Cycle?

Take filter media from another tank that is established maybe add some bb in a bottle

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Sounds weird but take sponge out if cycled tank and squeeze it out/rinse into the breeder tank. It will be cloudy and reddish for a days maybe less but you added bacteria plus waste by doing this eventually the filter will suck up the water and the bacteria will colonize the new filter media.
Or run the new filter on the older more established tank until fish get here.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jonclark96

Past CCA President
As others have stated, taking media (or even the whole filter) from a running tank and move it to the new tank. This is one of the reasons I have multiple filters running on most of my tanks, the other being redundancy in case one filter breaks down.

npbarca

Members
I have a 75 gallon tank with a bio wheel filter, and my filter on the 40 is a biowheel. Im thinking of adding about 20 gallons from my 75 and moving one of the two biwheels from my 75 to the 40b filter. Will adding products like safestart help?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Water from a running tank won't add beneficial bacteria to the tank. The BB is on surfaces in the tank, not in the water. If you already have the filter for the new tank and the fish haven't arrived yet, start running it on your existing tank now. It will start the BB growing in the bio media.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
When are the fish coming? Why not run both filters on your tank now?

I've heard good reviews about SmartStart, but have not used it my self. I've always just taken filters and or media from my exiting tanks for all the tanks I've set up in the last 5 years.

npbarca

Members
I haven't ordered them yet but I need to soon so they don't go out of stock again.
I can cycle for about a week, an however many days it takes after I place my order

chriscoli

Administrator
Would adding a product such as safestart help speed up the cycle?

It won't speed things up if you can put an established filter on the new tank.....what's in the established filter is equal to or better than what's in a bottle.

It won't hurt anything either if you want to toss some it. If it makes you feel better (extra insurance) then do it too.

chriscoli

Administrator
Putting an established filter on the tank will cycle it instantly. If you put it on an empty tank too soon, the bacteria won't have any food (ammonia) and will go dormant. So wait until you have fish in the new tank, and put an old, established filter on. Instant cycle, no waiting.

npbarca

Members
Alright. So my plan is to run up to congressional today to see what products like safestart they have, and add that to the tank today. When te fish get here ill move the bio wheel from my established tank to the 40. Does that sound good

chriscoli

Administrator
Sure, but if you add safe start to an empty tank too soon, the bacteria there will go dormant, too. Don't add it until you get your fish and move the filter over.