• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Question for acrylic tank gurus

Marz

Administrator
Staff member
Can you dismantle an acrylic tank? It's a small cube with an internal sump. I'd like to remove the internal sump, the black acrylic sheet in the pic. Possible or nah? I have already removed the devider in the middle.

IMG_0546.jpg

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Of course you can... I just don't think you'll get it back together and know it's 100% unless you have it reglued by a professional.

FishEggs

It's definitely a risky job with the thickness of the acrylic being so close together you are chancing cracking the main side panel. it will also create a weak spot on those panels. it mostly depends on how good the welds are on that panel.

JLW

CCA Members
You cannot.

Acrylic is not glued together. The seams are not joined with an adhesive. They are welded together using a chemical welding agent. Once they're joined, they're joined.

If someone does a really bad job on them, you can often break the joint, and pop it apart, but you *should* not be able to do that. But, you'll leave a nasty scar on the acrylic surfaces.

Why do you want to take the filter out of the tank?

Marz

Administrator
Staff member
Why do you want to take the filter out of the tank?

Thanks, that's what I thought too. The filter is poorly designed by Aqueon, it's really not a filter, it was just a filter cartridge and it's taking a lot of space in a small tank. I might modify it by building chambers and turn it to a small sump or cut the whole filter panel with a dremel or something similar. Cutting is still an option, right?

JLW

CCA Members
Thanks, that's what I thought too. The filter is poorly designed by Aqueon, it's really not a filter, it was just a filter cartridge and it's taking a lot of space in a small tank. I might modify it by building chambers and turn it to a small sump or cut the whole filter panel with a dremel or something similar. Cutting is still an option, right?

Yea, if you used a cutting / cnc bit on a dremel, you'd be able to cut it away pretty easily. I don't think you'd get a wheel flush enough to be decent -- plus I always break those. :)