• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Question about Tangs & Plants

Hi folks, hope you don't mind questions from "out there". I'm a PVAS member.

My water is naturally high ph right-out of the tap (I'm going to get a 2nd test kit to compare). It's around 7.7 or so and months later in a tank with plenty of bio-activity, it's still 7.7. I believe it's easier to raise the Ph a little than lower it. I've recently been dabbling with plants an have found a few that like my water but the real question is fish. I really like the smaller Tanganyikans and wanted your opinions on Tanganyikans in a planted tank.

1) Good or bad idea altogether?
2) I'm thinking Vals, Bolbitis, Java Fern, Anubias, Crypts, Bacopa; what else?
3) Which tangs would not likely tear-up plants.?
4) What combo of different fish that fit #3 would not-tear-up each other?

Thanks

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Right place

We keep fish - so some would say we're all a bit "out there". I have Enantiopus and Paracyps together in a 40B full of guppy grass, but Pipi has far more experience with Tangs and plants - sure she'll weigh in ere long. Will look forward to that - everything else I tried to grow in the tank sort of melted away except for some Vallisneria that just has done little more than endure.

mscichlid

Founder
Well you'll have to raise your pH much higher than 7.7, I believe, for the tangs. The plants will more than likely let you know if they like your water parameters. Vals would be the most likely to thrive in those conditions.

YSS

Members
I guess Sarah wil have to chime it, but I have my africans from all three lakes in one tank and my pH is in the high 7 range. I actually don't even know. I used to add salt and baking soda to get the pH up, but I stopped doing it and my fish are doing fine. I think what's more important is stable water parameter.

Charlutz

Members
Hey Larry -

Most of the tangs you are talking about would be fine in 7.7 ph, though you could bring up the calcium hardness and ph to 8.2-8.4 fairly easily with baking soda. I kill just about every plant I add to my tanks before my fish can eat them, but I've had great success with vals and pretty good success with anubias. The fish leave them alone for the most part, even the featherfins that eat plant matter. I've tried java fern as it's also supposed to be tang tolerant and the fish leave it alone, but I can't get it to thrive though other tang keepers do. As long as you aren't doing tropheus most of the hardier plants will be ok. Many of the tanganykian lamprologous and julidochromis will dig, but they tend to dig under rocks and not uproot plants.

Ophelia77

Members
Crypts work just fine in the tang tanks even with 8.2 PH and baking soda added. we also had an amazon sword that did okay in a tang tank, meaning it didn't get eaten or dug up, but grew slowly

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Option

I have absolute mats of guppy grass (Najas guadalupensis) that's grown in 7.6-7.8. Anyone wants in just let me know and I'll bring some for you to the next meeting. Even if the fish eat it they'd have to be pretty ravenous as it grows fast and doesn't need to be rooted. Also have some growing in a pH neutral tank - same story, too much, just ask and I'll dial you in.

MarkK

CCA Members
I have Tanganyikan's for sale, can deliver to CCA or PVAS:

Neolamprologus Leleupi $5
Neolamprologus Cylindricus $2
Julidichromis Transcriptus Bemba $3
Telmatochromis Brichardi $3