• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Pushing beyond "95% effective"- the concept of "functional diversity"

Tannin Aquatics

CCA Members
In the aquarium game, we're able to control a lot of things in the little worlds we create. You know, the temperature, pH, food, water movement, etc. We put a lot of emphasis on creating "appropriate" environments for the animals that we keep. And we do a great job! In my opinion, we intentionally do this and create what I like to say are "95% effective" systems. And although it sounds that way, it's not mean to be an indictment or "diss" in any way. It's sort of an opinion of mine based on a specific observation:

20140913_182148_grande.jpg

We're missing the intentional deployment of one concept: Diversity. The one thing that we seem to not practice "intentionally" is diversity of the aquarium environment.

In my opinion, one of the most important things that we can do for the long-term health of our fishes is to create some diversity.

Yeah, diversity. (click to read more)