• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

pundamilia macrocephala

maddog10

Members
i have had several highly respected folks take a look at them this is one of the responces,
"your macrocephala has the classic pundamilia body shape as well at the indentation in the forhead slope just before the premaxillary. You can see this in Lithochromis and Mbipia too. This does not occur in Astatotilapia."

Pretty sure Sarah is asking about this quote.

deadman

Members
the quotes is from one of the most respected individuals in this country concerning victorian cichlids.
im not much of a name dropper, but ill check with him and see if he minds if i mention his name.

longstocking

Members
Well... did you ask Randall what he thinks? Or Samaki AKA Christophe

I have no issues talking names if it means further education comes out of it.

Last edited:

deadman

Members
yes, actually chris aka samaki, helped out more so with the females he shared with me pictures of his for comparision., greg steeves helped and some others. they are thriving and have had three sucessful spawns and i am growing them out for comparison with the parents, and will be distributed through the hccc, cares and bap, and the aca cares.
IMG_1900.jpg

IMG_2070.jpg

deadman

Members
gjr2, you stated that you have some of these fish. i would be really intrested to compare the species. if you could please post some pictures of what you believe to be the same.
concerning the a. nublis, dr. les kaufman was unable to find what elizebeth had described as a. nublis. so maybe we can help shed some light on things.
here are a few interesting links on the nublia. they in my opinion are very diffrent.
http://www.cichlidae.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2247
http://www.africancichlids.net/articles/astatotilapia_nubila/
http://www.bigskycichlids.com/Anubila.htm

deadman

Members
ok, you all caused me to second quess the prior determination of what this species is. and that is a great thing, expecially with victorians new to the hobby here, and the soon to come nation wide exposure they are soon to recieve . i sent alot of detailed photos once again to chris/samaki, this was his responce.

the male looks alright to me, thi is without doubts a P.macrocephala
yu can distinguish the macro from the nubilus but the head lenght(bigger in macro than in nubilus), the snout form(more pointed in nubilus) the body marking( broad verticals bars in macro) the blue color is more blackish in nubilus, the red color on fin is not arranged the same, the blue irridescence on the spinous part of the dorsal fin in the macro
the female isn't so clear, does she show some brown color when holding because on morphology she looks alright too but the body color is very grey for me, normally she displays a light brown to blue- black color . But it seems to be a macrocephala female.
xris
icon_thumb.gif

here is a spawning picture that answers the coloration with the female, displaying the brownish color.
IMG_7519-1.jpg

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
Those guys in the fake beards trying to scare the castaways off of the Lost island.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. :rolleyes:

Matt

LOL! Neat looking fish... I would listen to the great Swamy George, you know the bearded one Matt spoke of.:D

RM

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
LOL! Neat looking fish... I would listen to the great Swamy George, you know the bearded one Matt spoke of.:D

RM
I wouldn't listen to him. George doesn't know Haps well at all. I just look at what I have. I like yours better Dead. I am noiw convinced we have two different kinds of fish regardless of what they are. Matt and Sarah know lots more about Africans than I do. I only go to SA.

George

longstocking

Members
I'd actually ask Ron. I'm not a vic person. That is why I asked if you had talked to Chris.

I can ID fish to a certain extent... but I still don't think of myself as very good at it.